08 Phenom Help

TTCarr

This message was originally sent to James at Phantom, but decided to post it here so I can get more input. So disregard that it was directed just towards him. Thanks guys!

Good evening,
I’ll start by saying thank you for any help you can provide. I have an 08 phenom, run on dirt only tracks that seem to have a bite issue. Usually dry dusty and slick, or “cleaner” dry slick. I run a limited modified animal on Hoosier treads. Tire sizes are: LF-11x5.5x6. RF-11x6.5x6
LR-11.5x8.0x6. RR-11.5x9.0x6
Front Stagger @ 1-3/8 — 1-1/2”
Rear stagger @ 1”
Rear tires are on 10” rims not sure on front but stagger out decent. Not sure if there will be any issue with the rear tires having 1/2” taller tires, or any adjustments I can make to help the rake rate change.

I have not scaled this kart out yet, but will be this next week (wed) and would love a good base line setup for two tracks.
One track is a dirt 1/10 mile practically no banking and I’d say medium sweeping turns either wet/soft or dry slick. Necessary to let off for 2 seconds entering turns.
Second track is a 1/4 dirt track FLAT and long straights with tighter turns. Also usually exact opposites, over watered, or dry and dusty. Little bite . I weight 250 lbs and 6’2”. My seat is currently aligned well, but is 10-1/4” off of the top of the axle. Any changes I can make to help the kart handle my height and weight better?

If sure I am leaving out a few important details, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m more than happy to answer any additional questions.

Thanks,
Tim Carr

Get the seat down in back if you can . Are treads a requirement?
46.5 front 56-57 left 60 cross.
I would swap rf with left rear or even get another
11/5.5/6 for left rear .
8 and 10 caster with 3/4 lft frt camber 3* rt frt camber.
Most would say less rt frt camber 2.25- 2.5.
Can or do you prep

One thing I did leave out that may matter, I have an XL Nexgen seat.
Treads are a requirement (or grooved slicks), and like them just due to how dry and dusty the tracks I run are. I haven't found the sweet spot with prep to get the maxxis to hook up yet. Feel like I get around the track a lot better on the treads. I do have another 11/5.5/6 for left rear, but wanted to experiment with both rears being wider, as well as more concerned with stagger with a much smaller LR than the RR(9.0 or even the 8.0) and the geometry being off with the RR being half an inch taller than the others.
I did have "good" results during hot laps last week with the LF- 11/5.5 RF - 11/6.5 LR- 11/5.5 and RR- 11/6.5 (this is what Carlson sent me when we asked for a good tread package). I just didn't know if there was a better tire set up out there since most of everyone out here runs 11/5.5-6.5's up front and 12/9.0's in the rear.
I can and will prep. Had a few quarts of insanity elixir wet track (doubt I will ever need it), Gambler orange prep and a gallon of ol' goat. Just bought some Track Tac black sand, and topaz. Heard from a few that is a good combo for dry dusty tracks with no bite.

Last edited:
We ran treads on our 05 . Burris though. . You end up with a lot of stagger with the small tire on lft rear , that might be better on the small track and the bigger tire for the big track.

That’s a good idea. We run in Colorado and Nebraska. Wish we had some good clay tracks out here, but it seems we just run on marbles. Trying a new track in a couple weeks, but still single lane dusty slick track.
Any advice on using those preps I mentioned? Or any that I should go to that will work?

One thing I did leave out that may matter, I have an XL Nexgen seat.
Treads are a requirement (or grooved slicks), and like them just due to how dry and dusty the tracks I run are. I haven't found the sweet spot with prep to get the maxxis to hook up yet. Feel like I get around the track a lot better on the treads. I do have another 11/5.5/6 for left rear, but wanted to experiment with both rears being wider, as well as more concerned with stagger with a much smaller LR than the RR(9.0 or even the 8.0) and the geometry being off with the RR being half an inch taller than the others.
I did have "good" results during hot laps last week with the LF- 11/5.5 RF - 11/6.5 LR- 11/5.5 and RR- 11/6.5 (this is what Carlson sent me when we asked for a good tread package). I just didn't know if there was a better tire set up out there since most of everyone out here runs 11/5.5-6.5's up front and 12/9.0's in the rear.
I can and will prep. Had a few quarts of insanity elixir wet track (doubt I will ever need it), Gambler orange prep and a gallon of ol' goat. Just bought some Track Tac black sand, and topaz. Heard from a few that is a good combo for dry dusty tracks with no bite.

This is the set-up that we found to work best with limited horsepower. Until you get to some serious power, the big treads just pull the little stocker engines down too much. The 8, 9, 9.50" treads were all designed around running a bigger engine package (ie 250 & 500cc engines on winged karts.)

The other problem you run into with the "big" treads is the ride height and sizing issues for stagger. Those 37"+ tires don't match up well with the way karts have been designed for years. Getting back down on the 6.50s for right sides get your ride heights back to normal (ie 34" roll-out tires.)
If you need more grip, prep them. Personally, I like to needle in our Black Bite 2.0 into the blocks of the tread only. As many coats as you want -- more coats = more bite.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back