1/10 Dirt Oval Gear Setup

@racing promotor here is the scale numbers. Still not got the camber asking around the track to see if anyone has the gauges with them

Screenshot_20201003-175934_iRaceWeigh.jpg

Myself, personally, I care not a whit about thread subject drift, but if you're not going to say anything about this this one, I'd rather not see any discussion about any other drift. It happens!

@racing promotor here is the scale numbers. Still not got the camber asking around the track to see if anyone has the gauges with them

View attachment 11501
Nose is little low 46 %, at over 300 lb total weight Left and cross could be increased to 56 %, for that chassis to start out it's fine that there the same, once he gets some quality seat time increase cross 3 %, BUT those changes needed are not causing the loose condition that's the track just not being prepared and him driving it like he stole it having fun, cambers should be 2.5 neg RF and .5 pos LF.

Nose is little low 46 %, at over 300 lb total weight Left and cross could be increased to 56 %, for that chassis to start out it's fine that there the same, once he gets some quality seat time increase cross 3 %, BUT those changes needed are not causing the loose condition that's the track just not being prepared and him driving it like he stole it having fun, cambers should be 2.5 neg RF and .5 pos LF.
1601911591487.png

I'm going to attempt to make a few little adjustments. Look like if I can add 6 pounds to the RF and the transfer a few pounds on the rear from the right side to the left side I will get the % values that are recommended. I also found someone with a Camber gauge and they was right on the money for what is suggested. Also would it be best to try moving the seat a little to the left or sliding the LR wheel out a little to transfer the weight on the rear?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Te9x8f9CMZ4L6oez6
Here is a short video of him from Saturday night, Track condition is a little better but it seemed every kart was sliding a little going into turn 1. I'm thinking he is pretty close to being good and I'm back to the original issue of gearing. He is close but I think i need to change the Rear gear from a 64 to 66 to give him a little more bottom end. he was catching up during the straights but when he let off in the curve it would take him to long to build speed back up. During his Heat race he wasn't letting off in the curves and tried to pass on the outside which resulted in 3 cautions

Of course it depends on how you go about adding at 6 pounds to the RF. Are you going to subtract at 6 pounds from one of the other 3 corners, or one corner, or 2 corners? My spreadsheet allows you to do "what if" very easily. As an experiment, I added the anticipated 6 pounds to the RF and subtracted 3 pounds each from the LF and the LR. You can do that all day long and see all the possibilities.

Of course it depends on how you go about adding at 6 pounds to the RF. Are you going to subtract at 6 pounds from one of the other 3 corners, or one corner, or 2 corners? My spreadsheet allows you to do "what if" very easily. As an experiment, I added the anticipated 6 pounds to the RF and subtracted 3 pounds each from the LF and the LR. You can do that all day long and see all the possibilities.
Yeah i can't remove any weight, just add more if needed

You don't adjust cross by moving weight, you move washers to adjust cross, there is NO such thing as rear cross, only numbers you need to worry about is nose %, left %, cross % which is RF and LR, and proper caster and cambers.
What do you mean by adding washers? the spacers in the front spindles?

yes i believe that's what he means, two washers on the right bottom to the top should get you the 3%, dont quote me but Promoter will definitely give you the right info
Yes you got it, on the RF pulling washers off the bottom moving to top will add cross, on the LF it's just opposite to add cross.

Don't let this confuse you, but for any given kart and driver weight, if you change the percentages, you change the corners, if you change the corners you change the percentages. That's why we have percentages, we want to know what each corner should way. Change any percentage, and the appropriate corners change. Enter the corner weights (kart and driver) and the percentages change. Change the kart and driver weight, all the corner weights change but the corner percentages stay the same.

For a given kart and driver weight, the percentages give you the corners, the corners give you the percentages. There's no way to change the corners without changing the percentages. There's no way to change the percentages without changing the corners. Of course this is given the same kart and driver weight.
For instance;
You know the kart and driver weight from the last time you raced. You put your kart on the scales, you write down the corner weights, this will tell you what your percentages were at the last race. Save those corner weights. Let's say your percentages don't match what the local hot shoe said you should have, so you change one of the percentages, the corner weights will change. You change another one of the percentages, corner weights will change again. Change another etc. etc. I have a corner weights and percentages spreadsheet with which I can prove all this is 100% true, no exceptions.

Comments, compliments, criticisms, questions. All are welcome.

Al NOBODY racing ovals cares what the corners weigh. its all about the percentages. I read the crap you post daily and it confuses me and I've been doing this a long time. I feel extremely bad for the new guys who read your posts.

Al NOBODY racing ovals cares what the corners weigh. its all about the percentages.
I don't understand, assuming somebody tells you what percentages to run, front, left, cross, how do you know what to make each corner weigh to achieve those percentages, with your kart and driver weight?

On the other hand, without corner weights, how do you know what percentages you have now?

Can you see what I'm saying? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, I'm trying to see how you approach this.

The computer program in the scales tells you .
No scales , no problem a simple math solution .
Or the highly touted spreadsheet or any of the myriad scale programs available .

Back