1/12 to 1/10 track

KOZ RACING

Looking for any thoughts on what type of comb to use for a clone no rules on motor. Would stroking it be best or not. Thanks to all

Hello Koz,

Is this your first clone engine you're wanting to build? How much are you looking to spend?

Stroking is going to take some money. I'm always hesitant to stroke a clone due to the questionable castings that are available, but it can and has been done. With a stroker, you could get by with throwing a crank and cam in it, but you're not really using all that the crank could offer without boring the cylinder and decking the block/milling the head. With that, you'll need a larger piston and a stronger rod for to handle the extra compression. Since you'll now have an engine that wants more air/fuel, you might want to get some head work done (larger valves and porting the intake/exhaust). A new cam to handle this beast will need stronger springs, rockers, and molly pushrods. And lastly, putting on a larger carb to feed it.

When I first started karting I built 2 modified engines, one with a 308 cam (video on YouTube of it) with all that I listed above (except the stroked crank). The other has a 275 cam, bored stock carb, 26 lb springs, with everything else stock and its wonderful. I take the 275 on the track during practice nights. The 308 engine sits on my shelf filled with oil simply because running the stock clone is fun and much cheaper to repair! You grenade a stroker and you can almost be sure there will be nothing to salvage.

Cheers and good luck! Let us know if you need anything. Would love to hear how you make out!

Mike

How much are you intending, to stroke the engine. Stroking does not have to be anymore stressful on the engine than boring.

I've been running a .120 over stroked clone for 2 years now with no problems, just don't turn it to the moon. I turn mine around 8200-8800 max never anymore than that and the motor I'm speaking of has never lost a race that it finished, which all resulted from no driving idiots and jealous a-holes crashing into me, braking chains on side ways impact stuff like that. Do good maintenance and up keep on it, keep pressure off springs, and change them every 6-7 races just for insurance, check valve lash from time to time, don't leave methanol in it, be sure to run good oil preferably fhs62r best oil you can run in modified four stroke IMO. Just simple maintenance and balance and clearance everything, and run a k&n not a china filter mine sucked the red stuff (whatever it is in side filter) through one of those Chinese filters.

just my 2 cents..... I have run mods and opens for years, being that the track you want to run is small 10th mile and under,you will only be spinning the tires. I wouldnt even stroke it, just do a budget build.

308 cam or 275 with ratio rockers , billet rod, weld up the combustion chamber of the head, flat top piston, open the intake port (leave exhaust alone), and throw a TILLY on her,

just my 2 cents..... I have run mods and opens for years, being that the track you want to run is small 10th mile and under,you will only be spinning the tires. I wouldnt even stroke it, just do a budget build.

308 cam or 275 with ratio rockers , billet rod, weld up the combustion chamber of the head, flat top piston, open the intake port (leave exhaust alone), and throw a TILLY on her,

I've been running them for years as well and you are right if the track he's going to run on has low bite but if it has any decent bite a stroked big bore clone with 308 w/ 1.2:1 rockers and 55lb springs will be perfect, you can deffinately make it hook. If there is decent bite and you have a stock stroke stock bore against me or any other good driver who consistently is fast with the big stroker and a good tire game your gonna get lapped quick. If it's open build an open, stock stroke stock bore is not open that's more of a limited, and I'm positive with some clutch work, good brake foot, gearing and a good throttle foot I can do a lot of damage on a small low bite track. You can always build a wedge body as well if you really want to get through the corners quick. When someone says they are going to build an open with a stock stroke stock bore I cringe, just build it right the first time so you don't have to go back into it and redo it to make it bigger because you didn't do enough the first time. In other words don't show up to an open race half stepping with a limited modified.jmho

Back