1/4 mile gearing help

I have never ran a 1/4 mile dirt track and have no clue on were to start with gearing. I was looking at 15 or 16 driver 67 68 rear. Champ kart 455 weight. I would do a trial and error process but we get 1 practice and not enough time to change gears in between most likely. Then we qualify and wait for feature. 35 raceway in Frankfort Ohio is the track. Thanks in advance.

Its a big car track that is having a series to host an event there . I will be there , that is where I started racing karts . Its been awhile since they have had karts there , but when we ran there on flat karts , we ran 15 or 16 drivers , and around 63/64 on the rear . Engines and karts have changed since I first started out there , so I would say start out and see what 16/62 does , then go from there . They are going to tear up the top 10 to 12 feet of the track to keep racers out of the walls , so it will be pinched down a little .I think the 1/4 mile is measured on the top , but don't hold me to that .
I would take a 58 gear and stuff to change it real quick to the grid as well . If you try the 62 and could use more , throw the 58 on there real fast and jump back out there . If you still need more , then you know to up the driver .

Last edited:
Listen to GClary.
Last time I was there for a kart race was moons ago, and it was considerably smaller than 1/4 mile. They ran mini-sprints typically. It's just too small for big cars in my opinion. 1/4 mile must be measured up by the wall.
If it were a legit 1/4 mile, then we'd be on 17/60ish. I just don't think it's near that big, AND if they're taking the top of the corners away (which karts would never even sniff anyway,) then you're looking at a considerably smaller track yet.
I'd suggest a 15 or 16 driver with your class and weight. Like was suggested, start on the 16 and be ready to change some rear gears to get closer once you get some hot laps.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

new ratio chart 15_58.jpg

We race a supposed 1/4 mile track here in Central Fl and I also don't think its a real 1/4 mile unless you measure around the entire outermost part of the track. Typical gearing for us with Jr Clones are 16/63-16/65 and the pro adult classes are running 15/63-15/66

I did try a 17/67 last week for the first time ever and we won but it was not by much, my son was getting ran down fast and if there was one more lap he would have lost it. Went back to the 16/65 this past race and half tracked the 10 kart field.

I know I'm going against the grain, everybody likes big sprockets, front and rear, but I have heard others disagree. Find out for yourself, don't be afraid to lead.
12_50 20_68.jpg

We race a supposed 1/4 mile track here in Central Fl and I also don't think its a real 1/4 mile unless you measure around the entire outermost part of the track. Typical gearing for us with Jr Clones are 16/63-16/65 and the pro adult classes are running 15/63-15/66

I did try a 17/67 last week for the first time ever and we won but it was not by much, my son was getting ran down fast and if there was one more lap he would have lost it. Went back to the 16/65 this past race and half tracked the 10 kart field.
If your not gear bound It's not a 1/4 mile track.

The track fooled a lot of people tonight . 16/65 was ball park for some of the Super Heavies and Sumo's , I didn't like how it was pulling , so dropped to a 15/62 for the feature and it helped me . Probably should have put on a 58, 59 or 60 . Turned the motor around 6800 rpm's with the 62 , and was a little tight in the corners , which felt tighter than what I remembered , but they also had us restricted from using all of the track , so it is what it is .. Had fun , seen old friends , and met some new ones ..

The track fooled a lot of people tonight . 16/65 was ball park for some of the Super Heavies and Sumo's , I didn't like how it was pulling , so dropped to a 15/62 for the feature and it helped me . Probably should have put on a 58, 59 or 60 . Turned the motor around 6800 rpm's with the 62 , and was a little tight in the corners , which felt tighter than what I remembered , but they also had us restricted from using all of the track , so it is what it is .. Had fun , seen old friends , and met some new ones ..
16/65 = 4.08
15/62 = 4.13
Those 2 ratios are pretty close together.

Al, are you ever going to understand that just because the ratios are the same, it does NOT work that way, especially with super heavy and sumo compared to a clone light kart.

Back