1/5 asphalt oval gearing

Racer-71

new asphalt track opening up . wondering if someone would have some gearing ideas for a starting point , also any other reccomendations for going from dirt to asphalt been running 1/4 mile dirt oval , one senior champ animal and one senior champ clone .
thanks
any and all help appreciatted

We used to run Sr. Champ clones (BSP) at Dacosa Speedway near Memphis. It's a 1/5 mile asphalt oval w/ 16 degree banking in the turns. We ran 17/60. For the animal, I think some guys ran an 18 tooth driver with a 65 or so tooth rear sprocket. Try that and see where you're at. The best tires I've found are the yellow Vegas. We didn't use any prep but some guys did. Have fun!

Changing from a 17 to an 18 engine sprocket is 3 teeth on the axle. Not exactly, but close. Also, I don't know for sure, but I would think that sixteen degrees of banking would make a big difference. How much banking on the new track?

1/5 mile is 1056 feet. I'm going to guess that the turn radius, and banking if there is any, and depending on how much, is going to have a big affect on ratio and stagger.

A thought occurs to me. Are they measuring the track on the inside line, the outside line, or the driving line. 1/5 mile is a huge kart track if measured on the inside line. Even if measured on the outside line, it's still real big. Either way, it will cover a football field.

Thanks
Al its kingsport speedway miniway .in kingsport tennessee. They say it is a1/5 mile track I don't know look it up on google and see what you think it is .
Thanks again

Thanks
Al its kingsport speedway miniway .in kingsport tennessee. They say it is a1/5 mile track I don't know look it up on google and see what you think it is .
Thanks again
I look it up and it looks like a pretty big track. The pictures aren't that great and there's no measurements. There's an overhead view view, so those that know how to Google Earth might be able give you some numbers.

There's a guy who has mapped out a ton of tracks on a facebook group site.

His measurements for Kingsport Mini-Way are as follows:

.190 Median Length, .21 Outside Perimeter, .17 Inside perimeter

Can't verify how accurate that really is, though I can attest to his being pretty spot on with the tracks we go to as a comparison.

Anyways, should save you trying to scale it from a Google picture if it helps you any.

Back