1/8th mile predator gearing

nckid4u

My son is running on an 1/8th mile banked track in an old PRC cage kart. We run 315 pounds. The motor is a stock predator with the gov set to 5500rpm on the stand. The track is really tight and you are on and off the gas cornering. I tried a 17 driver with a 62 rear and couldn't get off the corner and got killed on restarts. I think I need to drop to a 14 driver??? I have a 14 on hand is why I am dropping that far. Anybody have insight into what rear gear I need to run on a 14 driver to hit 5000-5200 rpm on the track ( I assume that is what I will max on the track??)? I am thinking a 52 or 54? Brand new to this type of racing. Learned a lot this weekend.

My son is running on an 1/8th mile banked track in an old PRC cage kart. We run 315 pounds. The motor is a stock predator with the gov set to 5500rpm on the stand. The track is really tight and you are on and off the gas cornering. I tried a 17 driver with a 62 rear and couldn't get off the corner and got killed on restarts. I think I need to drop to a 14 driver??? I have a 14 on hand is why I am dropping that far. Anybody have insight into what rear gear I need to run on a 14 driver to hit 5000-5200 rpm on the track ( I assume that is what I will max on the track??)? I am thinking a 52 or 54? Brand new to this type of racing. Learned a lot this weekend.
You do not want to target MAX rpm 5000 or 5200 4900 MAX most likely you were gear bound with a 17/62 however if tires are not close you'll chase RPM till the cows come home. with a 14 driver I'd try a 47 rear hoping to be low on RPM a little, atleast that way I knew I wasn't gear bound. As Tony request what Tire were you using ? what that tire ? were they freshly prepped and resurfaced ?
What RPM reading did you get with the 17/62 ? what were your max drops ? which track and where ?

Back