10 tooth or 12 tooth driver???

Newie

looking for input on the diference between the to if the final drive is the same,thanks in advance

The 10 tooth is going to give better acceleration off the line, and the 12 tooth will give more momentum once you get rolling.

I would suggest the 12T so you dont have to mount the clutch outboard, which puts alot of stress on the crank

Some people say that a ratio is a ratio with the size of the gear and driver being inconsequential. Others have put forth the opinion that a larger driver will decrease the angle by which the chain travels around the driver and thus yield less resistance equating to increased acceleration off the corners. Still others opine a smaller driver is the way to go. My personal experience shows no change in lap times. Your mileage may vary........

Some also say that the gear size will make the motor work harder or not as hard.

The answers I get to this is "it just does".

Does anyone have some logical sense to all this.

Thanks

ccw

Not sure what you mean by "if the final drive is the same". Do you mean that for both clutch gears you use the same rear gear? Or that you change the rear gear for each clutch gear so the ratio remains the same?

If it's the former, the smaller clutch gear will give you a wider ratio. The smaller clutch gear should get you out of the turns faster. It should also give you a better jump on restarts. But the larger clutch gear should allow you to build more speed down the straight, and its effect can build up over several laps. Which is better? Depends on the torque curve of your engine, your overall vehicle weight, the traction available, and the layout of your track. Changing gear ratios is a coarse adjustment.

If it’s the latter, the different clutch gears play more to the torque available from your engine. It’s more of a fine adjustment. If your engine can supply the torque (without bogging down) then usually you’ll be faster with the bigger clutch gear. You need to experiment. We’ve measured lap time differences by playing with this, but you have to make sure that your results aren’t skewed by track changes during your testing (especially on dirt).

Back