100cc open-Jack Burroughs

WPaul

Jack, in your opinion what was the best 100cc for opens. Not building one just thinking back on some we worked on.

Best, WP

Would you say a Parilla TT-36 Hong Kong Revenge 7 port rotary is equal to, better than, or worse than a Reedjet?

Not Stock but,
Best OPEN for reliability? Best OPEN for the value ?

Best OPEN for most horsepower ? (probably with the biggest ports and/or most meat around the ports and/or thickest liners to bore out )
3 engines
Rotax collision port 100cc Rotary
Comer collision port 100cc Rotary - Not homologated
PCR collision port 100cc Reed

Great replys guys. The reed jet and PCR's are after we raced 2 cycles. We had K55 & Atlas in the 80's, then my son started racing Rookie 4cycles so we spent all our time learning them. Still love the tech behind the high output 2 strokes.

Yeti, what's a collision port ? Is that not loop scavenged ?

Bes, WP

Are we talking engines that are/were imported in numbers that really matter and with enough parts to run them for a while? Or just stuff that shows up in a pic. once in a while.?

The only reason there are read valve engines is because of the LMR (Lamello-Margay-Reed). IKF had this brilliant idea to stop calling it the McCullough class. They wanted more chainsaw manufacturers to get into the game, so they called the class, get this, "American Reed". They had no idea somebody would build something like the LMR. It was American! It was reed! What's the problem? Totally superior to the McCullough. So they changed the rules back to McCullough class.

The Italians, seeing that we had invented an "American Reed" class, built the K55. It was much better than the LMR. A lot of Americans liked the K55. So there were other Italian engine builders that thought, "hey, we can do that". And that's why we have reed engines today.

For years, IKF lived with the idea that there was no karting anywhere else in the world. That they ruled and could do anything they wanted.

When the Yamaha came out, and I was at the board meeting where it was approved, they made the decision not to call it the Yamaha class, rather they would call it the piston port class. And that was fine until the Italians decided, "hey, we can do that to" "and better". And it was true. So IKF had to change their mind again and call it the Yamaha class. If they hadn't changed their mind, there would be no Yamaha's today.

IKF once ruled, from their throne on high, that a go kart motor could not cost more than a $100 retail. You could buy them wholesale for $65. IKF had to dumped that rule when they approved the Yamaha.

You think the rules makers just started making crazy rules? I don't think so.

IKF put McCulloch kart engines out of business by not letting them charge more than $100 for a 100cc engine and then later on capped it at $150.00. No money cap of Foreign or yami engines.

Al how about when the TKM 100c.c. P.P. engine came out , right out of the box they would smoke all but the best B.P. KT's, so WKA finally separated the class and last I looked there were 8 different manufacturers. Also, I once read here on Bob's that the first Komet reed was built by John Hartman when he grafted a Mac reed cage onto a rotary Komet engine.

the question was the best 100cc open, not if they shipped more to the states
again the 100cc open Italsistem will KILL a reedjet , and most parts , rod, piston, are the same

MRC RSV2, You can still buy them and all the parts for them, and i'm yet to see a more powerful 100cc engine. (Italsistem and Vortex included)..

IKF put McCulloch kart engines out of business by not letting them charge more than $100 for a 100cc engine and then later on capped it at $150.00. No money cap of Foreign or yami engines.
This is not true. In the mid sixties there was a cap on foreign engines. Not surprisingly, the United States only got their junk stuff. IKF did not put McCulloch out of business. They were bought out and the new company didn't want to sell an engine at a loss. Horstman negotiated a deal with the new company to buy the 91's, at a much elevated price, and with a compression release. (It was a 100 cc chainsaw engine) It didn't go over it all.
Luckily for karting, it was right at about the same time that Yamaha came to the USA with the KT.

Bill, originally there was a cap on stock motors which did include the foreigns. BUT, K-77's, BA13's, etc sold for $99.99. BUT, extension shaft, housing, and tuned pipe (Macs often ran without) were all extra. All the stuff needed to complete the engine so you could actually use it.

If we talk about air cooled 100 cc reeds in stock form I would take some of the last air cooled ICA Vortex. Of course if we need parts available nothing beats Reedjets.

I've been kart racing since 1980 and UAS classes for the last 10 and I've only ever seen 2 Itals. in all that time, funny how they both are owned by a good friend and run as duals on his kart, wicked fast, but you need to be a lot more meticulous than with a Sudam. I'm not saying the Itals aren't better, just if they are so good, where are they?

Last edited:
WP Didn't understand your question or that my response was to be time specific limited ? Collision port would be the later & more in/out flow efficient 3 port exhaust (of the TT85/reedjet post TT75 era). Obviously the "Italsistem" SV21E Rotary would be king of 100cc stock most hp champion but these are slightly more complicated & less dependable than it's contemporaries.

The reed jet and PCR's are after we raced 2 cycles. We had K55 & Atlas in the 80's.

Yeti, what's a collision port ? Is that not loop scavenged ?

Bes, WP

True That - Fast. That was the OP question. Of course a OPEN italsystem will kill a reedjet but will it KILL KILL a OPEN reedjet ? That depends on who ported & set up both of them. That being said if they were both maxed out equally by the same porter/builder, I don't believe I'd be going to far out on the limb to say they'd put out about equal hp +/- a 1/2hp or less. JMHO

100 cc open italsistem rotary will kill a reedjet handsdown

Back