100cc open-Jack Burroughs

That TKM BP-82 was a torque monster on short tight tracks well beyond it's contemporary PP's of the time, but not on a long straight track..

Al how about when the TKM 100c.c. P.P. engine came out , right out of the box they would smoke all but the best B.P. KT's, so WKA finally separated the class and last I looked there were 8 different manufacturers. Also, I once read here on Bob's that the first Komet reed was built by John Hartman when he grafted a Mac reed cage onto a rotary Komet engine.

Again, the question was best 100cc for "OPEN" and for my money i'll take the Ital, the reedjet is a great engine, and they are more popular because IAME imported many many more then the other manufacturers Ital,Vortex,PCR,Comer,ect. that's why you see so many more Reedjets not because they are better.

That TKM BP-82 was a torque monster on short tight tracks well beyond it's contemporary PP's of the time, but not on a long straight track..
I remember the first time I saw a TKM piston port apart. The first thing I noticed was the two plugs in the crankshaft cheeks. Two on each side. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking they were tungsten which is where some people got the idea to counterweight the KT. (Definitely not legal.) A KT with extra counterweights is definitely fast.

Something I heard about the TKM piston port, they broke rods. On a regular basis from what I've heard.

The TKM BT-82 was the mainstay introductory direct-drive class in Europe, followed by ICA and FA...There's tons out there just waiting to be converted to UAS racing duals....lol Tal-Ko is still around and has some interesting powerplants (since this thread has already derailed...)

http://www.tal-ko.com/

TKM-BT82-TAG-ENGINE-FRONT.jpg

The TKM BT-82 was the mainstay introductory direct-drive class in Europe,,,,,,

The TKM's had just shown up about the time we went to 4cycle.
I notice the reeds of today seem to have the same reed cage's as the old Atlas/K55,,? In the early 80's a Parilla reed came with a reed cage and black spacer to make room for the longer reeds, 6 petal if my memory serves me. We used these on an open Atlas and was faster. Do any of you remember this ?

Best, WP

ehhh......AGAIN....got it already. But Again it won't.

if both 100cc are setup the SAME SAME whether stock or open they'll be within 1/4 hp of each other. Hardly a KILLING ...more like a tickle. Same triple port exhaust technology, same competitive manufacturers class, same cc's, both are blue printed, both piped, carbed, needled the same then they'll be very closely matched. JMHO

100 cc open italsistem rotary will kill a reedjet handsdown

the question was the best 100cc open, not if they shipped more to the states
AGAIN the 100cc open Italsistem will KILL a reedjet , and most parts , rod, piston, are the same

Yeti, you build your open reedjet & i'll build my open ital. both 100cc, you with your driver &me with mine then we could have some fun. you have your opinion and I have mine. lets race not talk

Go back to post #1, it asked my opinion, I gave mine based on what I personally have seen in 35 yrs. of kart racing. The Ital. might be better to those of y'all that have seen one, but where are they if they are so good? I know of 2 , here in Fl. that are sitting, they are on a dual engine kart set-up. Owned by a good friend of mine. they did run great , once in a while, but had lots of problems that lead to their now sitting in a garage. you guys can argue all day while I'm out racing my Sudams.

Go back to post #1, it asked my opinion, I gave mine based on what I personally have seen in 35 yrs. of kart racing. The Ital. might be better to those of y'all that have seen one, but where are they if they are so good? I know of 2 , here in Fl. that are sitting, they are on a dual engine kart set-up. Owned by a good friend of mine. they did run great , once in a while, but had lots of problems that lead to their now sitting in a garage. you guys can argue all day while I'm out racing my Sudams.
While they set up a race why not answer my ? in post #26 Jack. Ever seen those reeds ?

What question? you mean those reeds? sure, look it up in the Russell catalog and you'll find out that that reed assy. fits about a dozen different engines, Including my TKM R-135., Komet K-35, older Sudam, TT-25., and K-55, sure I've seen them, because I do have them. So what's your point?

Last edited:
So where does the Iame, that looks like a ReedJet come in?
The Sirio.
Same fins, head is blue, instead of green, and from what I hear, the rod is a different length.

What question? you mean those reeds? sure, look it up in the Russell catalog and you'll find out that that reed assy. fits about a dozen different engines, Including my TKM R-135., Komet K-35, older Sudam, TT-25., and K-55, sure I've seen them, because I do have them. So what's your point?
Ha ha, just been away from 2strokes for a long while and all the pictures are of the small reeds.
Little testy hey Jack ?
WP

Testy? well maybe because it gets old real quick explaining things over and over when most of it is available on line if searched properly. Also I'm 67 yrs. old and still racing after 35 yrs. how Y'all doing? In the last 4-5 yrs. I got 3 consecutive Championship owners titles and 1 track 100c.c. with Mike and 2 other Championships with his son Brad last yr. No way I could ever have that kind of luck with out them. Almost forgot 4-5 podium finishes at Daytona Kart weeks.

Testy? well maybe because it gets old real quick explaining things over and over when most of it is available on line if searched properly. Also I'm 67 yrs. old and still racing after 35 yrs. how Y'all doing? In the last 4-5 yrs. I got 3 consecutive Championship owners titles and 1 track 100c.c. with Mike and 2 other Championships with his son Brad last yr. No way I could ever have that kind of luck with out them. Almost forgot 4-5 podium finishes at Daytona Kart weeks.

Congratulations, that's alot to be proud of. I'm 64,healthy and still having success with my son, we are lucky men.
I started this thread for a little nostalgia, conversation/entertainment?, singled you out. Sorry for the imposition.
Best always, WP

Well his mind is made up & that's that.

Again, the question was best 100cc for "OPEN" and for my money i'll take the Ital, the reedjet is a great engine, and they are more popular because IAME imported many many more then the other manufacturers Ital,Vortex,PCR,Comer,ect. that's why you see so many more Reedjets not because they are better.

Fast- I respect the reedjet. I'm fond of the technical achievement & WOW factor of the front carb belt driven rotary Italsystem SV-21. But... I've sold my soul lock stock & barrel to PCR with a specific bias to the 100/135 horizontal reeds. Ideally a PCR SUDAM jug mated to a PCR horizontal stroked reed bottom end fully ported top to bottom with a 59+mm piston, add an atomized 40mm & you got one very bad B-Limited Hombre'. A pair of these engines on a dual C-Open & you make sure you have a life insurance policy & that it's current !

Yeti, you build your open reedjet & i'll build my open ital. both 100cc, you with your driver &me with mine then we could have some fun. you have your opinion and I have mine. lets race not talk

Back