125cc IAME Leopard Problems

get ahead of the game . find a 2-cycle builder and get it done right . send all the parts to him and let them get it running . I haven't seen any place where you checked the carb. pop off

That cylinder is not too bad, I have had many engine come thru the shop that ran that were scored and chewed up much worse than yours. That engine should start and run . If the ring was stuck in the piston grove on one side it may not have been contacting the cylinder wall and may have contributed to the low compression. I also see you dropped an oring that goes around the stud, its sitting in the transfer port in that one pic, do not forget to reinstall them. I had a leopard come in last year the owner forgot the orings and filled the engine with water. Any way, try to clean the piston ring groove of any carbon or buildup, and reinstall the ring. Make sure it floats in the groove, and make sure to line up the ring end gap with the pin in the piston which stops it from rotating. if you can get the ring free moving in the piston, reinstall the cylinder and head and try to start it. If it's just to play with now and not race I would run that engine like it is.

I'm thinking some 800 grit and hand radiusing the ports for some extra protection would be a good idea .

I pulled a good pushbutton starter box and coil out today. In the first pic the red wire and single connector goes to the starter lead, the other two plug into the stator, they can only go one place so I am sure you have all that hooked up properly. In the second pic the lead with the eyelet is the ground, that has to be connected to the engine. I noticed in your pics you have a second ground wire attached with the main ground. Is that going into the harness? It looks like somebody has been splicing wires, they may have it hooked up improperly. The third pic is the blue coil, it uses a spade connector instead of a bullet style, but I believe a black coil will work fine if the connector is changed. There is also a braided ground strap that hooks the coil to the clutch cover, the rubber vibration mounts that the coil is attached to do not let it ground properly. I think I can see that strap in your pics. If your wiring is hooked up this way, and it has good spark , fuel and compression it should start right up.
Would you happened to still have the Pre-MY09 coil still?
My IAME was running great an just died on me on the track and hasn't started since.....No Spark! I purchased a newer coil because the blue one is unheard of, but I am not sure if it's compatible?

Would you happened to still have the Pre-MY09 coil still?
My IAME was running great an just died on me on the track and hasn't started since.....No Spark! I purchased a newer coil because the blue one is unheard of, but I am not sure if it's compatible?
Let me look in my shop today

Back