14.5 c.i. Class animal or honda?

00fatcat

Currently running a Stroker Animal. We can't run a billet block or head in this class so that eliminates the Blockzillas. Would the gx200 Hondas be worth taking a look at? How would price compare to the Animals? Thanks for any opinions or feed back.

Wow! Not often no opinions.
Cost of modifieds should run pretty even.
The block strength is in question.

Blockzillas are cast not billet engines. The edelbrock head for the bz1 is cast as well.

If either honda or animal are tunnel ported, the stock port becomes, for the most part, moot.
Both blocks will require bracing if the limits are pushed
Costs get close when really pushing.
Speed costs money. How fast can you afford to go?
Are you sure you need all that can be had?
I believe there was a dyno competition a couple years ago, hondas, with a briggs also. The briggs made less peak power but looked the most driveable.

Look in the honda threads.

Sorry I was meaning the Jr racecar billet blocks. Blockzillas are also not allowed in this class. I believe they're trying to get an open class going that doesn't scare people off. Where people can recognize the engines that are being run and say hey I can build up my clone, animal, predator or flathead and go small block open racing. UAS has never taken off around here much which is a little sad. Thanks for the feedback! The animal I run makes great power and is really reliable. BUT the curiosity in the possibilities of the Hondas is too much for me and I believe I'm going that route. Thanks again for the feed back!

For the life of me I don't understand the current trend/push for open small blocks.
You end up screaming them to the moon in rpm and they still can't touch the power of a big block for the same money.
For instance, a nicely built open animal will run you near $3000 with some billet tidbits on it and make 25-28 CHP. Oh, and you'll push that rascal to 8800 rpm or so.
A big block Honda 390 will make 34 CHP for $2500 and you can turn it 7000 rpm all day long.

This is why the small block opens all died off years ago...cheaper/more reliable power can be made with the big blocks.

Now, you want to turn your stock animal into a cheap stock appearing/mild open? Throw a cam, 2X valve springs, a long ARC rod and high compression piston coupled with a decent carb to match with it and you just increased your HP by 50% or so.

It won't hang with a built/stroker animal or big block, but it would still be a fun class to run (IF everyone were on the same rules / internal parts.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

00fatcat
I've got a modified 212 unfired three years old, hopefully we can give you some competition this year.
Though as Brian stated I need to rethink a couple things now , I'm sure will fail so get out the fishing jar.

Last edited:
The Animals were built out of all the Animal and flathead stuff laying around our shop. Bought a big valve head for one of them the other has stock valves. As for big blocks I saw two at Newton Ia 2 years ago and was way faster than them. Only ones I have ever seen around here. A lot of the open small blocks around here are old stock appearing's. Used to be a big class around here. I think a big block class would be great but none around here. This is the land of the clone. Used to be 20-30 2 cycles weekly. Now just 2. Looking forward to seeing you this summer flattop 1. Thanks for the feedback once again.

Why spend 3000 for 30 ish hp when you can get a decent 125 or 131 sudam at 50ish go for less and weighs alot less than a big block

Not many UAS karts around here. I can stay with most of the opens with my stroker. If UAS was drawing any karts I'd go with an MX motor.No big blocks around here either. No animal or flathead classes around here at all anymore. Might as build them up and blow them up there just setting on the shelf.

Not many UAS karts around here. I can stay with most of the opens with my stroker. If UAS was drawing any karts I'd go with an MX motor.No big blocks around here either. No animal or flathead classes around here at all anymore. Might as build them up and blow them up there just setting on the shelf.
So, just what IS there to race around there?

I think the last Uas race we attended there was a kt , a parrila , big animal and a biland possibly something else.
Not sure if the twin engine clone made it.
CRS memory.

Last edited:
That was a good night for them. I was there and watched. You had the Biland I think. I'm just too big to get any enjoyment out of running clones. Tried but really don't enjoy it. Decided to try a stroked gx 200 Honda.

The fastest thing in 14.5 ci factory block and head small block class is a BSP clone with about $1750 worth of trick stuff in it. In 2016 Flash06 had a clone with broke crank, effed rod, bent cam and cracked block, I had a seasoned BSP stock bore block which I punched out to 2.814", Mitch got new stroker crank and rod, I had a new welded dyno cam, so finished honed the block to fit the old piston, clearanced the block for the rod, cut off he compression release on the cam, freshened the valves, put her together the way I do, the ARC billet side cover dowel holes never seem to fit the BSP blocks, so I leave em out and do a little trick with a quick trip to Fastenal, we put on my 15 Exceed flatkart went to Dawgwood ran the first 16 Ga. UAS series race, got a 4th, had 3rd he whole race, but a late caution bunched up the field and Mitch got pushed up going into 3 on the white flag lap and we lost the spot by 1/2 nose coming to the checkers, then we went to the next Ga. UAS race at Shiloh, no it ain't enough to beat the Bama 250 smokers or the 500cc Jawas or the CR450Fs, but it's enough to make the show and get points, she did win the Open Mod. 375 at Shiloh starting from the rear with Micheal Register on wheel weighing in 405. LOL little dawg i'll hunt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Q9mA8cIQ8 Micheal Register starting in the back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNA1RPb8yqM (Flash06 on my "Ole Ugly" flatkart with a silver duct tape #7

Ok I've rambled on enough, enjoy the vids.

At 14.5 cid the stroker Animal will run for ever if you don't do anything stupid building it or running it.
The block and head have gone through many upgrades to be what it is today.
I have lots of them out there that i see once a year for refreshing.
Just keep the dirt out of it, use Briggs 4T oil, and don't rev it to the moon.

"Now, you want to turn your stock animal into a cheap stock appearing/mild open? Throw a cam, 2X valve springs, a long ARC rod and high compression piston coupled with a decent carb to match with it and you just increased your HP by 50% or so. "

YES, its the fastest growing class at our track.. not sure why more tracks don't have this class

Have several stroked animals and the are very reliable and make good power. Going with a stroked Honda out of curiosity.

Back