15 Degree Engine Mount Plate

metalmafiaboss

a little while back I picked up a nice racing chassis with a Briggs flathead on it. I tinkered around with it for a while and eventually put a predator 212 on it. The original Briggs was mounted on a 15-degree engine mount plate and I in turn have just mounted the Predator 212 on that same 15-degree plate.

I have two questions:
1) what's the purpose of that plate with the Briggs engines?

2) do I need to use that plate with the Predator 212?

Hoping somebody will fill me in on the pros and cons of this deal. Thanks... sean

With the flathead it gave you tire clearance . Because of the tank.
You can use it , seems like with the clone and predator, even the animal . Its gravitated to the lower mounts .

With the flathead it gave you tire clearance . Because of the tank.
You can use it , seems like with the clone and predator, even the animal . Its gravitated to the lower mounts .
thanks man appreciate the info. i'm on the fence as to whether i want it on there with my predator.

follow up question... if i do run the angled plate with my predator do i need to make any allowances for oil volume?

You do need some angle to your engine mounting plate, for clearance between your right rear tire and the Predator's carb and airbox, but not as much angle as the flathead needed. We played around with it and liked closer to ten degrees better, but karts differ so you might tweak this for your own situation.

The Predator's fuel tank outlet is at the back of the engine (left side if looking straight at it from the starter's side), so using the fifteen degree mount raises that outlet up in the air. Can starve the engine for fuel once the level gets down to about a half tank. So that's why we tried less angle on our mount. If your races are short, you can get around this by making sure your tank is completely full before you hit the track every time.

Another solution was to make a flat mount that was thick enough to get clearance between the engine and the tire. However, that raises your center of gravity in the vicinity of the engine - which can effect handling. If you're running one of the heavier classes, it might not effect handling enough to be a problem. Again, you have to experiment.

Back