196vs212

Well for starters...16cc's. Also, from what I'm gathering, most parts are not interchangeable. If your racing with rules/classes, they won't run together.

I think the 196 started out as a 196 HF , then the clones were every where over night ,great little engines to. The real Clone is actually a Honda GX200 made and produced by Honda, the China made Clones are now what we know has a Clone of that engine ! Other than that about 16 cc's. lol :)

I've never seen anything but pictures of a predator engine. As I understand it you can put a clone head on the new style predator. With a clone head on it is there a big difference in the outside appearance......can it pass for a box stock clone if you don't take a close look at it.

The new 212 hemi predator short block (60363) looks the same as a 196 on the outside. Side covers, cams and tinwork interchanges. With an easy head swap to a standard 196 head this could easily pass for a 196 but have more cc's and compression. This is something BSP tech should be looking for and a fun engine to build a no rules hot rod.

I think the 196 started out as a 196 HF , then the clones were every where over night ,great little engines to. The real Clone is actually a Honda GX200 made and produced by Honda, the China made Clones are now what we know has a Clone of that engine ! Other than that about 16 cc's. lol :)

The Honda GX line is the original, then the copies of this design became the clones and Lifan was one of the earliest, if not the first.

I am not sure why some say they wont run together, the Champion 196cc engine produces more power than the Predator 212cc. Not all 196cc engines are created the same.

I am not sure why some say they wont run together, the Champion 196cc engine produces more power than the Predator 212cc. Not all 196cc engines are created the same.
It's not that they won't keep up, at our track, Predators are not allowed in the Clone class.

This ole fossil is correct...Honda was copying Briggs for the utility replacement market . The China version is a clone of a clone...lol

We (NFRA) are attempting too run both (196 / 212) engines together by having a weight handicap applied to the '212' package...ie: 30 to 40lbs, maybe! The plus(+) side is that the heavier guys cud use the 212 Predator as their engine foundation and could/would lead too a better 'field' rather than (2) smaller fields.....assuming your track runs a 'Sumo' class as well.

I am certain the OHV Honda preceded the Briggs OHV.

Honda GX140 1983

Briggs claim thier first OHV was 1920 but I don't think Honda cloned that one
Briggs V Twin Vanguard OHV 1987
Partnered with Mitsubishi MH1 Vanguard OHV 1991
Briggs model 28 1992

Last edited:
As a former outdoor power equipment dealer with 40 plus years of experience i can say with absolute confidence Honda was first on the Bus.
DW

Back