1985 Dirt Oval Karting

Just watched the video, and its definately clean racing compared to what you see now. That first race it showed, the 3rd place kart kept having to completely hit the brake and let off the gas to keep from nailing 2nd place, but he stayed there with him and waited for the chance to pass and took it when that chance came, thats how racing should be these days instead of ramming the guy in front of you up the track when you cant get a line around him. Looks like those karts would be easy to flip and get hurt pretty badly on also. Guys were literally going into the turns sideways and drifting thru the apex, coming out strait and letting it rip down the straits lol. Thank god for tire prep so we arent doing that these days, and some people wanna bring that kinda racing back? Can you imagine racing like that, with the new age drivers attitudes on the track? Somebody would get killed.

I have to disagree. Because of this type of racing, the groove is wide and plenty of opportunities to pass. I like this much better than follow the leader one groove racing. Have to wonder if its because the tires arent all preped up and the driver actually has to have some skills to make a pass. Maybe im old school, but I like my chances much better when driver skill comes into play instead of being on the right prep for the right day. Im not a scientist, but I am a driver.
"Don`t knock it till you try it". This type of dirt racing demands driver skill unlike todays follow the leader. If you aspire to drive sprint cars on dirt this is the training field. Todays dirtphalt tracks are best suited to train you for asphalt sprints. FUN, you better believe it. Land on my head, yea, but not from sliding sideways, by running into someone. Slideways driving developes your driving skills, no need to ram and bang someone out of the way. We didn`t have bodies either so we had respect for other drivers and their and our equipment. Yea, bring back slideways racing. Alot more fun than follow the leader. Still have my `82 TRICK. Would like to try it on Daytonas flat track.

In 1985, I was running a Margay Panther X. Coyote Bullet and Trick karts we're also very good (as Carlson stated). Rims we're all 5" 2 piece. For tires, ran Bridgestone on pavement and Dunlops on dirt. Burris made a real soft compound dirt tire that was grooved in the early 80s but was quickly outlawed at all dirt tracks because of how it rutted the track so badly. No body work except a driver fairing (think driver's bubble on today's karts). This is about the time the nerf bars started being two rails instead of one and actually kept karts out of your lap LOL. Many great memories racing the flatheads in the 80s.

I have to disagree. Because of this type of racing, the groove is wide and plenty of opportunities to pass. I like this much better than follow the leader one groove racing. Have to wonder if its because the tires arent all preped up and the driver actually has to have some skills to make a pass. Maybe im old school, but I like my chances much better when driver skill comes into play instead of being on the right prep for the right day. Im not a scientist, but I am a driver.

i raced back then with a coyote bullet like Carlson said - awesome kart. with the small nerf bars you had to really respect each other and know where your wheels were. yes the karts are much safer now so you can race differently than you did then. in those days if you leaned on each other one of you would wind up on your head!!!

I remember how much fun it was then compared to now. the kart counts were way high everywhere you went - look at what they are today.

Back