2 disk bully for 285 lb green plate?

What are your thoughts on running a 2 disk bully on a 285 lb. green plate? I’ve never tried it, always ran single disk but was curious if anyone else does it.

What are your thoughts on running a 2 disk bully on a 285 lb. green plate? I’ve never tried it, always ran single disk but was curious if anyone else does it.
I'd be real curious to find out why you would want to run a single disc? I've heard that a single disc will help you accelerate, but I doubt that very very much. I've often thought it would be interesting to turn a heat gun onto the single disc and 2 or 3 disc clutches and see which one generates the most heat. Heat being a power loss.

We had ran a single disk in red plate just due to lack of knowledge I guess 😄 and it’s what we had. I had heard of others running 2 disk and was considering it.

When everything is set up properly NOTHING wrong with a single disc clutch for green plate, but don't be afraid to use the 2 disc.

I'd stay on the single disc with a clone.
It also depends on which crank you have in your engine. The older/cast cranks have a bad problem flexing under load (ie peak torque and the clutch engaging pulling on the end of the crank, etc.)
The 2 disc clutches hit so hard (air gap, set-up considered) that they really jerk the chain and end of the crank.)
The extra clutch weight is still a consideration, but that's not the primary reason to stay away from a 2 disc on small plate engines.
How a clutch is set up is the real difference. For instance, you can take a 2 disc SMC (relatively smooth engagement) versus a 2 disc Bully with wide airgap, stiff springs, and heavy weights, etc and physically see the difference in engagement leaving the grid.

Sometime if you'd like to test this theory -- lay out a few traffic cones in a drag strip scenario and measure the time it takes you to get to the 10' cone, 25' cone, and 60' cone.
That "hit" or "jerk" on the chain is good for the first 10 feet, after that, not so much.
Try it, it'll open some eyes I think.

With the power/torque being so low in these small plate clones, a hard hitting 2 disc clutch will pull the engine rpm below peak torque for too long when it engages.
A single disc clutch can be set up "softer." That's the way I'll describe it anyway. It's not that the engine is over-powering the clutch, simply that it is better matched to the torque that the engine creates.
Think of it this way -- if the number of clutch discs didn't matter (it's all in the set-up), then why wouldn't we all be running 5 or 10 disc clutches?
These clutches will not produce much heat at all -- there is very little transfer of power wasted if the clutch is set up properly for the engine that it will be used on.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'd stay on the single disc with a clone.
It also depends on which crank you have in your engine. The older/cast cranks have a bad problem flexing under load (ie peak torque and the clutch engaging pulling on the end of the crank, etc.)
The 2 disc clutches hit so hard (air gap, set-up considered) that they really jerk the chain and end of the crank.)
The extra clutch weight is still a consideration, but that's not the primary reason to stay away from a 2 disc on small plate engines.
How a clutch is set up is the real difference. For instance, you can take a 2 disc SMC (relatively smooth engagement) versus a 2 disc Bully with wide airgap, stiff springs, and heavy weights, etc and physically see the difference in engagement leaving the grid.

Sometime if you'd like to test this theory -- lay out a few traffic cones in a drag strip scenario and measure the time it takes you to get to the 10' cone, 25' cone, and 60' cone.
That "hit" or "jerk" on the chain is good for the first 10 feet, after that, not so much.
Try it, it'll open some eyes I think.

With the power/torque being so low in these small plate clones, a hard hitting 2 disc clutch will pull the engine rpm below peak torque for too long when it engages.
A single disc clutch can be set up "softer." That's the way I'll describe it anyway. It's not that the engine is over-powering the clutch, simply that it is better matched to the torque that the engine creates.
Think of it this way -- if the number of clutch discs didn't matter (it's all in the set-up), then why wouldn't we all be running 5 or 10 disc clutches?
These clutches will not produce much heat at all -- there is very little transfer of power wasted if the clutch is set up properly for the engine that it will be used on.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
This should answer Al's question !!