2 scratches in the bore.

Nessmuck

Found two scratches in the bore of my latest 5hp flathead.
Enough to catch a fingernail, but don't make it all the up, kinda fade out about a half inch shy of the top
Just curious what if any affect this will have on compression.

Doesn't matter if it's in the compression area or not, once the ring and piston slide down it will create marks in the piston/ring and compromise compression either way. But, also it will create more and more wear as the piston touches it and the results are that the engine aren't long for this world.

Bore or hone as necessary.

If a cool bore motor (aluminum bore) and you bore it, you must have a chrome piston. These have become a somewhat extinct creature.

i figure... its not the space shuttle; hone it best we can, new rings, lots of oil in it and get it going... sell it ;) ... mower engines that i refurbish... that wud have lasted a good long time if... 1.) CHECKED THE OIL BEFORE EACH RUN OF THE DAY. 2.) CHANGED THE OIL once a year or every 25 hours... and 3.) didnt run it without air cleaner... or air cleaner bolt SECURE to hold air cleaner ON and SEALED. yes wont last forever, but none of them do. kind of an expiriment to see how long it will last with 15-40/20-50 wm oil in 110* heat of summer

Back