2-stroke reeds bad?

Mac_49

Messing with 2 identical mopeds with the exact same setups. Same motors, same carbs, same jetting, same exhaust, etc.
One runs like an absolute beast and the other just struuuuuuugles to even get going.
Was wondering if reeds can play a role in this? Can you tell a performance hit when reeds go bad or are they visual inspection only?

My limited experience with small displacement 2 stokes has been the exhaust being plugged with carbon.

A soaking in degreaser may loosen enough to get enough temperature to burn the rest out.

It's not to terrible to start but definitely takes a few kicks. Once started it just chugs and chugs to keep going.
Same with trying to get any rpms out of it. I can open full throttle and it just lags and lags to get anywhere. Never can get full rpms at all.
I'll definitely try taking the exhaust off and see if I can clean that out.

The struggle bus definitely has a different sound! It's super quiet at idle and doesn't sound near as loud as the other when getting on it.
Any specific degreaser I should try?

I'm leaving the reeds as is for now.
I swapped exhaust off of the good bike and installed it on the other. It was a totally different bike after that. MUCH BETTER.
This is my excuse to buy a performance exhaust haha....but would soaking the bad one and see if it's salvageable be worth it? Intent would be to resell it of someone else wanted it.

Not if your buying a pipe for the other one .
Can you see into the apparent clogged area ?
Drill a few extra holes in the baffles .
Carwash wand might do it after soak with purple power or simple green .

Do like John said pull the cage and check if they're sealing, or have a crack or chip in them.
If so replace them.

Back