2003 Crf450r Temps

Try to keep it below 215-220. Run DISTILLED water in it, not tap or filtered water or you’ll find sand in your water pump impeller. If it’s still a little hot add some water wetter or just run straight engine ice coolant. If the motor is using the stock water pump remember that RPM’s turn the impeller faster. So if you’re stuck sitting or under caution laps, you’ll get water moving a little better if you can sneak some higher revs in here and there.

My 450 never gets that hot 150 to 180 on the track I never let it idle long so don't know how hot it will get I have a radiator from a 4 wheeler bought off eBay
I have been thinking about going smaller. I just run tap water . Are water must be cleaner here I don't like to drink sand

Check rules because some tracks, especially asphalt tracks, don't allow to run antifreeze on radiators in case there is a leak. Now if you run water be careful in winter months since it can freeze and destroy your engine.

Engine ice coolant. Legal in every form of racing and keeps temps down.
Not on every form of racing. For years any coolant or additive was illegal in the rest of the World under FIA/CIK rules. I do not know if they allow it nowadays though but I have seen tracks that do not allow any kind of additive on your radiator other than water.

3.18 COOLING The cooling system must be in its original configuration: only one IAME original radiator (p.n. T-8000B), only one IAME original simple water pump (black or blue) are allowed and in compliance with the homologation form. The number of radiator support brackets is not limited. Only simple or by pass original IAME thermostats are allowed and their use is optional. Only water with no other additive is allowed for cooling. No additives are allowed. Radiators shields, either adhesive or mechanic are allowed but should not be removable when the kart is in motion. Original water hoses as delivered with the engine (black or blue).

Last edited:
Back