2005 XXX Infinity setup help

This is your set up as it stands now. I'm no expert on setups, maybe you can see where the problem is.
11-15 setup.jpg

No wonder it is tight. Cross and leftside are too close. Add cross. You get cross and leftside within 2% of each other the kart will be tight. Personally I would start at Nose 45%, LS 55%, Cross 65% and work from there. If your tires are reasonably close.

Msquared
Understanding Chassis Theory and Dynamics

OK I found some setup notes on the XXX we ran. We ran Stock Light through Stock Heavy. Nose 45, LS 55, Cross 65-70, LF Caster 6, camber +1/2 RF Caster 10, camber -2.75 front stagger 1 1/4" rear stagger 3/4" to 1 1/4" depending on the track. RR 1/4" off the hanger no axle collars and free floated the RR bearing. Rear track 39.5" to 39.75" LR bearing collared and pinned. We also used a 1/4" drop spindle on the LF to keep the number of washers as even as we could on each side. RF tucked in as far as we could get it. LF varied as we moved it a lot in and out. Standard was 3 1/4" spacers to start always. This was on Southern Dirtphalt tracks.

Be sure your seat is mounted properly and not in a bind.

Msquared

Thanks Mike appreciate your help for sure! Never been able to get more than 61 to 62% cross and where could I get a 1/4 left front drop spindle? Think Mike Ward could help me out with that?

Thanks Mike appreciate your help for sure! Never been able to get more than 61 to 62% cross and where could I get a 1/4 left front drop spindle? Think Mike Ward could help me out with that?
Can't get over 61 to 62 cross with washers bottomed out, or meaning if you go over that kart won't handle ?

You can use a pmi short barrel spindle to allow more cross adjustment. I keep going back to the left that will free the kart provided everything else is in the ballpark.

When I run 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 rear stagger with right front all the way down and left front all the way up 61 to 62% cross is the max!

I'd drop the cross more close the leftside. That will tighten it for sure. You can go two ways here. If left is say 58%, then cross could be either 60% or 56%. Now to free it up if on 60% cross go higher, if on 56% cross go lower.

If you are on a low grip track maybe less left will be better and higher air pressure. You have to think about what you are doing. The track has no grip so you have to put grip in the kart. More air will cause the tires to heat up faster. You almost want them to crown. I have seen Juniors running 12 psi or more on very low grip tracks on Maxxis! Raising the seat a little may also be an option.

You could go old school on the setup using something like 43 nose, 57 left and 52 cross (increase cross to tighten it up) and keeping the other parameters I mentioned earlier. On low grip tracks I used an extended RR hub. It was 3" long!

If you are super lost on setup, start with a the baseline of the chassis. Pull nose off until it pushes then add back 1% to stop the push. Then add leftside until it washes out. Add 1% back to stop that. Then fine tune with cross. Notice I said fine tune with cross.

The main thing is, do not be afraid to try things. Just understand what they are doing and why. Kind of like squaring the chassis using the LF and setting toe on the RF. There is a specific reason for doing that. NEVER set toe on the LF!

Msquared

You could go old school on the setup using something like 43 nose, 57 left and 52 cross (increase cross to tighten it up) and keeping the other parameters I mentioned earlier. On low grip tracks I used an extended RR hub. It was 3" long!
Just when I thought I was getting a good handle on set ups for dirt, you show me this!
If it was anybody else that said this, other than you, I would be very skeptical. lol
I have a thing on my spreadsheet that shows the percentage difference between the LR and the RR. You would be amazed at the number of negative comments I have gotten about that. This setup has the lowest percentage I have ever seen. 37.5%! I've seen setups with that percentage as high as 230% difference.

It's very simple he's saying there's more than one way to skin a cat, don't be afraid to try different methods then figure out which way ends up the fastest for you.

It's very simple he's saying there's more than one way to skin a cat, don't be afraid to try different methods then figure out which way ends up the fastest for you.
You're still limited by chassis design, but I agree dont be afraid to try different things thats how you learn

Back