2009 Millenium Vector setup

richie59

Folks, I need help. Really struggling with set up for my kart. No matter how I move washers up and down, move the seat forward and back, place extra weight forward, left, rear, right and combinations of that, I cannot get cross over low 40% even when left and nose are close to factory spec. I have tried raising left side front by placing washers on bottom to raise it, and the opposite on right front, but I can't come close to getting cross up to the 55 - 65% suggested. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I start with kingpin washers neutral on both sides (i.e., same number of washers on top and bottom, both sides?) I weight around 173, total weight around 350 with one 5 lb weight low on left rear of seat.

Help please!!

Need complete setup info staggers and camber
Seat position, air pressure , wheel spacings.
Rear axle location and pills if it has them.
Does your cross change at all?
What scales are you using and are you sure they work properly?
Numbers close to factory ! They need to be very close .

like mentioned, check that the rear axle is correctly mounted.
If it is you have something bent

Everything is set using factory suggestions and specs. I have rt rear wheel in tight on rail, left rear out about 3.5" from rail, seat has been moved left, right, forward and back. Tested with weights left, right, back, forward. Left and right spindle washers moved up and down and weight tested. Stagger is right on both front and back. Everything the experts recommend doing I have tried as far as I know. Scales are new analog and accurate. Nothing is bent as far as I know. Everything seems to align up fine.

Analog scales can sometimes open the door to human errors in the calculations. Carefully evaluate the method you are using. Also, if you make changes, do those reflect correctly in the numbers after calculations? Just a possibility.

What about rear axle position?
Is it adjustable?
Agree with both above it's bent or the calculations are wrong.
Good solid level base for the scales, not close to level absolutely level?

Everything is set using factory suggestions and specs. I have rt rear wheel in tight on rail, left rear out about 3.5" from rail, seat has been moved left, right, forward and back. Tested with weights left, right, back, forward. Left and right spindle washers moved up and down and weight tested. Stagger is right on both front and back. Everything the experts recommend doing I have tried as far as I know. Scales are new analog and accurate. Nothing is bent as far as I know. Everything seems to align up fine.

Left rear 3.5" off rail? If that's not a typo, I think that's your problem. Right rear 3/16" off cassette hanger, left rear 3/4" off cassette hanger. Try that, see if you get your cross closer. Hope this helps.

Mr Riche59.
Congratulations if you're racing still.
I do not see track width in the set up sheets.
The 3.5 does seem excessive.
Pills recommend are zero right and 1/16 the left

Mr Riche59.

I'm running zero right 1/16 left pills per factory specs.

And yes, I'm racing still at 74 years old. At least one more season, maybe more if I can get enough leg and arm supports to keep my body parts together, lol. Still having fun though.

Rear axle position trued and squared to frame tubes. Level across. Floor where I place scales are level in all directions. Checked with 4 ft level. I did have a pretty heavy rear end crash last season that destroyed left rear wheel, bent nerf bars on left side, bent the axle slightly, and bent left side chassis tube up about 3/4". Came around 3 & 4 flat out to find 5 karts spun out across the track. Braked and went in backwards pretty hard. Anyway, I straightened nerf bars, installed new axle, and straightened left side tube level with right side tube, and squared to cross member etc. I'm pretty satisfied everything is back to spec, or very close. Before the accident I could never get it over low 50s cross. I've lost weight since then, and dropped down to medium class, so necessary to re-scale everything.

Left rear 3.5" off rail? If that's not a typo, I think that's your problem. Right rear 3/16" off cassette hanger, left rear 3/4" off cassette hanger. Try that, see if you get your cross closer. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will try that and recheck scales. I was under the impression that moving the left rear out would add weight to left rear, and thus tweak the cross a little. Is that incorrect?

First of all you need to bring that left rear wheel in alot, millenium suggest 39 1/2" rear track width and the way you have it, your probably at 41+", which is way off

Mr Riche59.

Is track width measured from outside bead to outside bead, or center to center of tires? The factory axle is 34" though.

Track width is typically less then bead too bead.
When you roll the kart it picks up dust on the tire that's generally where it's measured or just where the tire starts to roll over off the flat of the tread surface.

Track width is typically less then bead too bead.
When you roll the kart it picks up dust on the tire that's generally where it's measured or just where the tire starts to roll over off the flat of the tread surface.

That's really what I meant. Used wrong term. I measured from the edge of the surface that touches the ground. I'm adjusting based on other comments here, but it will be around 39.5 on the rear.

Track width is measured from outside edge of the LR to outside edge of the RR tread surface. Keep it at 39 1/2 on the vector and move washers to adjust your cross, you should never have to touch the left rear hub. Get the RR hub as close to the frame as you can without the wheel rubbing the frame

Track width is measured from outside edge of the LR to outside edge of the RR tread surface. Keep it at 39 1/2 on the vector and move washers to adjust your cross, you should never have to touch the left rear hub. Get the RR hub as close to the frame as you can without the wheel rubbing the frame

Thanks. I have done that to rr wheel already, and set track width to 39.5. Starting with washers equal top and bottom, and putting on scales again. I appreciate all the help.

Back