2012 Excentric, How can you tell if chassis is bent?

Phiddy

Had a crash. So I tore my kart down to a bare frame to go through everything. The tubes on the frame that the front bumper slips inside have moved. I also put it on a flat table and it appears good using v-blocks and measuring, the cross bar that the steering post mounts to and the cross bar the seat struts mount to sit perfect in v-blocks on the flat table. Nothing else appears be uniform to compare side to side? Any tips?

Set spindles at even heights, then measure spindle mounts from table and axle bearing holders from table...the rest is just metal spaghetti that twists with a certain resistance... Also measure spindle distances from axle.

Seems to me, using the spindles, because they're adjustable, as a reference point, would not be a good idea.
I've built frames, back in the 70s, and it seems to me, without putting the frame in the original fixture, finding reference points is going to be tough. You just can't assume that anything is straight.
My frames were flat across the bottom, you might call the manufacturer and ask if the frame is the same as mine.
One idea comes to me, a 3 point mounting. 2 points under the rear bearing hangers and 1 point in the middle of the front frame tube. Of course this has to be on a very flat surface. Measure the distance from the bottom of the spindle mounts to the top of the table. Measuring from the front to the rear is a good suggestion.
I would follow any instructions given to me by the manufacturer of your frame. Don't forget to independently measure the angle on the spindles. The manufacturer should be able to tell you what that should be.
Just an aside; if you can't put the frame back in the original fixture, it's gonna be tough no matter what else you do.

I think there are only two bars that are even remotely square straight and parallel or on a flat plane. The bar that the steering post mounts to and the bar the seat struts mount to. I put it on a flat surface table on v-blocks to measure it. It seems the new photo policy doesn't allow the kind my phone takes so I cant post a pic. I don't think the wheelbase is the same left to right so using the axle might be tough, and is the axle even square in the chassis? It does sit on four points good on the bars I mentioned, and all looks good. I was just asking the wealth of knowledge because you never know? Thanks for all input, please keep it coming. -Kevin

Before I would just give up on it put it back on the scales and see how far off it is, that will tell you how bad it's bent If it is. even then if not bent to bad I would re set numbers and race it we bent 2 over the years and both ended up faster after re scaled.

Before I would just give up on it put it back on the scales and see how far off it is, that will tell you how bad it's bent If it is. even then if not bent to bad I would re set numbers and race it we bent 2 over the years and both ended up faster after re scaled.

Agreed!
Scaling wasn't an option due to lots of parts missing on it due to a crash, also I could no longer sit in it to compare numbers, it got pretty tore up and I was luckily thrown out. Im gonna rebuild and give it a shot! Who knows? I hope it gets faster.........There are less accidents in the front.

Back