2014 Gold Cup Series

apk power

RLV Tuned Exhaust Products Gold Cup
March 7-9: 103rd Street Sports Complex; Jacksonville, Fla.
July 11-13: G&J Kartway; Camden, Ohio
Aug. 15-17: Pittsburgh International Race Complex
October TBA: Carolina Motorsports Park; Kershaw, S.C.

LOL, yep that was an added bonus feature at that race. Guess we will have to wait until the fall to continue with that party and hopefully it will be even bigger.

So sad, I hoped Mooresville would have a chance for either GC or MC. Great track and very professionally run. not enough races close to me to give a try one more year.

You can blame that directly on mmx themselves. Between them charging a arm and a leg to go there, and basically turning away almost every 4cycle person in the area they have made it well known we are not welcome.

As I mentioned at one point before, top notch facilities are not going to welcome a small series like the gold cup. When you have a multi million dollar facility they have to pay the bills. I guarantee they make more off their rental karts for the week than if the gold cup came for the weekend. Seriously. They could barely care less if they even had local racing because the rentals are doing so well financially. Notice new castle was not on the schedule as well. That is another facility that is expensive as well. With the numbers dwindling at man cup I assumed it wouldn't be going back to new castle. I don't blame WKA at all for going to places that are more affordable. In the end it hopefully results in better awards for the karters. It's an unenviable position trying to make a scheduling that is : quality tracks, spread out geographically, and tracks that are affordable so they can turn a profit. As much as many dislike going to camden constantly i'm sure it is very cheap compared to most. Kershaw and Pitt are about as good as it gets in the current state of the gold cup I would think as far as facility.

I agree with Gary, until the Gold Cup can start generating bigger entry numbers these expensive tracks will not be attended by the gold cup series. As some of us been harping on for years now we all need to support and promote the gold cup and help it grow if we want it to survive. Personally I think the 4 tracks that WKA selected for 2014 are good choices for a good mix of racing configurations and travel distances for the current gold cup members. There isn't any other national level 4 cycle sprint racing series this side of the Mississippi for us to race at so embrace it and be part of helping it grow. WKA is doing everything they can within there budget to keep it running!

Steve

Just to give you guys some perspective, i dont know what the current tracks we attend charge WKA for a Gold Cup race. But I'm pretty good friends with the GM at MMX in Moorsville, and he told me that to have a gold cup race there,the charge would be around $15k regardless of entries. So considering that im pretty happy with he track selection. These four tracks were ur Largest events last year, and with all the momentum we built up this past season i think its a good schdule to try and carry on into 2014 and continue to Grow. If people want differnt tracks, then come out and race!!! Cant wait for March.

-DZ

You can blame that directly on mmx themselves. Between them charging a arm and a leg to go there, and basically turning away almost every 4cycle person in the area they have made it well known we are not welcome.

First, let me say I like just about everything about MMX, we have a blast racing our Rotax there, and they do a first class job of running the races and facility. Plus the Juan Taco truck shows up for lunch :)

It is true that they are clearly anti-4cycle. They use noise as an excuse, but I can assure you the Yamaha cans are much louder than any 4 stroke, and I bet their concession karts are actually louder than most 4 strokes that are raced in Gold Cup.

I also understand why any facility would not be interested in Gold Cup races, because IMHO WKA are the only ones who -may- make $$ on Gold Cup weekends. When our club hosted a Gold Cup event we barely broke even, and we had a ton of free volunteer labor.

I think WKA did a good job with the 2014 schedule and tracks, and on going back to 4 races. I just don't understand why they can't schedule at least 2 races between June 1st and August 1st, when most kids are out of school. It would make things so much easier for parents with kids in school.

DT

Hey let's you and I start a series and we can cater to everyone !
And if thinking kidding ,,, try me

Peewee. MGM Fab

I actually practiced at Mooresville with both my 4 and 2 cycle karts and they didn´t give me any trouble about my 4 cycle. There were other people on 4 cycles as well. The track is worth any effort and as any other business they try to make money, but I prefer the way it is run is worth more than twice what other tracks charge IMO.

As I mentioned at one point before, top notch facilities are not going to welcome a small series like the gold cup. When you have a multi million dollar facility they have to pay the bills. I guarantee they make more off their rental karts for the week than if the gold cup came for the weekend. Seriously. They could barely care less if they even had local racing because the rentals are doing so well financially. Notice new castle was not on the schedule as well. That is another facility that is expensive as well. With the numbers dwindling at man cup I assumed it wouldn't be going back to new castle. I don't blame WKA at all for going to places that are more affordable. In the end it hopefully results in better awards for the karters. It's an unenviable position trying to make a scheduling that is : quality tracks, spread out geographically, and tracks that are affordable so they can turn a profit. As much as many dislike going to camden constantly i'm sure it is very cheap compared to most. Kershaw and Pitt are about as good as it gets in the current state of the gold cup I would think as far as facility.

Pitt is a New Castle wannabe and will soon be a rental facility. I hear they are cutting back the local schedule for this year (2014). Practice time was substantially less this past year and kart counts took a dramatic drop. Personally I don't think they cared because the real money is in the rental business as I have been told. The facility is better than ever (minus the bumpy track). But the quality of local racing has been diminished. I hope I'm wrong, but if it gets any worse than last year, then it's time to find something else to do. If you go to the website you will be sure to find plenty of info about the rentals. The sign at the end of the road says "Rentals Today". Not hard to see where they are putting their effort.

I got a question or comment !!
If you guys want to run MMX , the cost is 15K an event
If we can get 100 people to pledge. $100 each , I think WKA could afford it
Put me down for the first hundred

1) MGM Chassis. $100:00

I'm serious , let do it -- time to talk positive and not always against every body or thing

Peewee

I'm in if that is where the gold cup racers really want to race at, probably be for 2015 at earliest.

Baker - $100.00

Steve

Put me down for $100.

However we have some work to do. I was there this weekend with an Alky Animal and it did not pass their sound test. I would like to take a Pro Gas Animal there and test the sound rating. But I love that facility so I'm in if we can get enough support to afford it!

They lower the sound decibels down to 85 and 2 cycles to 95
They had it at 95 for. 4 cycles but lower it to the above 85 -- shortly after they opened and we took several 4 cycles up there

I'll go there with a gas animal after homestead

Peewee. MGM Fab

The man cup and USPKS went there this year. The yamaha 4 hole can is considerably louder than any 4cycle at the gold cup so I don't understand these decibel claims...

If they are making up rules to keep us away I would rather just go somewhere we are more welcome. All the other tracks on the schedule were very accommodating.

Back