2015 WKA Road Race Classes

PeeWee, theres no problems between us. The problem is many racers here, some members, some not have been asking questions, looking for answers. Your last post said it. One person is making this call apparently. A member owned org, should not only answer to its members but also the people that may not be currently, but might like to be. This just looks bad.
I would guess theres some people that wrongly assume I'm mad at WKA, far from the truth, it needs to be here, it has to survive, I want it to be strong again. Those around in the old forum days know I pretty much say it as I see it, whatever the issues. I stood up very publicly in favor of WKA over the whole WKA 6 thing, which was huge, and I lost friends because of it. but I believed they were right.
If you've been around a while, there was a time when a majority of the Animal RR people came from up here. Because more and more decisions were made just like this one is being made, well, I think theres only one guy left from up here that does WKA, thats too bad for all of us
I've tried to look at this from every angle I can, it doesn't make sense. From Genes list, leaving out the 2 Jr. classes, theres 14 different classes for 4 cy people to enter. Some races don't get 30 4 cy racers to come. I can see offering some type of range to the choices, but 14?
First, Its no secret I have no interest in Lo206 at all, Klaus will be the first to tell you that, I do see where its format makes sense, especially in RR where you trying to entice new people. Its by hundreds the lowest cost, and it offeres the spec, no builder type of racing, yet it is again even after being around for a year, left out of the points classes. That would have been a good option.
Then we have 3 different classes with fairly little differences between them. Cloan, PG and Animal. Yes BP Animal is a little more, but my kid has won at WKA races with engines with 3 seasons on them. It is the package that is most universally used in the sport, and around by far the longest Cloan has now risen in price to the 600-800 dollar area and is now a builder prepped class, and thats the same area both dollar and performance wise that the new class falls in.
LM had a good start, but rule changes took it out, IDK if anyone, anywhere else is still running it, too bad, should have been the top class.

I wish someone could convince me its worth while to spend 3-5 K to go to these races again but the odds look like its too split up to justify it, I by no means alone in that. Remember there was, not too long ago, a time when Animal was consistently the largest class in NRRS and it was great racing. Hope somehow it comes again.
BTW, Van, just in case you lost it,:) my number is 414 228 8642, sorry I did loose yours.

Question - Is there anyone planning on running a PG in the Alky class? The PG engines we are building as far as I have been told by these racers are just running the PG final 1 & final 2 class not the mix class.

Steve

Schedule

It is for the WKA Road Race Series that will race in 2013 at:
Daytona December 27 - 30
Kershaw April 4 - 6
Grattan May 16 - 18
Mid Ohio June 13 - 15
VIR July 25 - 27
NCCAR August 22 - 24
Summit Point October 10 - 12

Why it says 2013? Is the 2014 schedule complete? Are we finally racing Summit Point and VIR and are these the correct dates? Personally and as much as I have experienced with the clones I have to admit I am tired of the clones and the constantly changind rules with new parts coming, other than once built to be faster they get weak and blow. I would like to see the LO206 as a point class. I am considering it as an option instead of the clones but depends on entries too. Thanks.

Ted, when WKA refers to Road Racing it means the long tracks. Sprint races are the Manufacturer´s Cup for 2 cycles or the Gold Cup for 4 cycles. Sometimes if you bring something different the might find you a class to race with, like I did last year with my open clone in a couple of races.

HIYA Steve, It will depend on what we see on practice day as to how the 2 compare on the track. No need in bringing a knife to a gun fight.

(;-) TP

Bob, I too recall the days of the 1000 entries at Daytona and numbers that rivaled that at Nationals held at Charlotte. Just a thought...... could it be that back then folks built their set-ups for the existing classes, more-so than today where it seems WKA tries to "appease" more people by doing the opposite, building the classes around the multitude of competitor's desires? Like you, I am not anti-WKA. But it seems as though there are 2 groups of folks that make up the organization: (1) An iron-fisted dictator, and (2) folks who really care but try too hard to pacify too many people. Not a good mix. JMHO -Alan-

Ya its sad that it has to come to this in public to have the racers being able to get their feelings heard. We honestly were looking at coming, Ryan had a great year up here, and Regan is looking for revenge :), I love watching them fight it out
Charlotte was always one of my favorites, had the sprint guys their and the oval race on the straight at night. Hard to think, Daytona was once a 5 day race to get it all in, and we had our own special 4 cy day thanks to Briggs, that was our first trip, I think '94

Gene, Thank you for answering my letter. It is the only answer I got. I don't agree with it, but appreciate the response. I can only assume since Van "wants this class combined" he will be racing with us!

Jack

Animal Pro Gas HP
10.25 @ 5000
11.25 @ 6000
10.50 @ 7000
9.0 @ 8000

Animal Alky HP
11.50 @ 5000
12.00 @ 6000
10.75 @ 7000
9.25 @ 8000

Please tell me why it is a big deal for the gas class to be mixed in? You guys with the alky will be faster anyway so why do you care if they want to run with you?

Gary,
Please tell me what your reaction would be if 5 weeks or less from the start of your new season WKA came in and changed your entire class structure of your favorite class, which happens to be the largest class of the whole series? They offer NO on track comparison of the 2 engine packages and only engine dyno results from one builder (granted I do put full confidence in Steve) and they are giving a weight break to the new package. What would you say? Would you be happy?

This is what WKA is not picking up on. NO ONE cares they are introducing a new package....... but why on such short notice mess with the most popular class in the series?? By ALL means test it for a year and if the results are good, mix them NEXT YEAR.

I'm going to say this again because I don't know if everyone is seeing it. I agree with Gary on performance, even if your just in the alky ball park, you should not have a problem staying a head of the PG engines. Now heres where the problem comes in with combining them. RR has a higher chance of things going wrong then sprint for two reasons. 1, the length of the race, 1/2 hr, and 2, the speeds were at are quite a bit faster, blow the line, small contact, its only a 25 - 30 wide track but were going 100, not much time to recover before eating grass.
So lets assume theirs 10 alky, and 10 PG in a race, you beach it on lap 1. IF it was a alky only race and your first out, you finish 10th. Now if all 20 are scored, same deal, but you now finish 20th. That can trash your season fast. We all have those days.

Jamie,
My opinion is basically the same as it was originally if I was running alky. Go ahead and bring your gas engine because you don't stand a chance. Granted you don't know this because you haven't seen one before, and I see how that would be a major cause for concern. I hate the idea of mixing engine packages in one class such as TAG. If I was running alky I would consider the gas engines to be just donating to the awards packages at the end of the year. Now if they are going to give further weight breaks until they are even then I have a problem with it. Again, I'm not a fan of mixing packages. It will only lead to more money spent in the long run because some will buy both packages if they think one is better at certain tracks like TAG engines.

I would say with almost certainty that the main motivation to push the Pro Gas in enduro is simply because of the success and presumed growth that it will have in the gold cup series. Alky animals are all but dead at the gold cup series and I'm sure to a point, wka is anticipating the same will happen in the enduro series. I'm sure that is the last thing you want to hear, but it would be my opinion as well even though I know the alky class has been very successful. If it had been a pro gas engine to begin with I think it would be really seeing growth. Did you anticipate any growth from last year to this year in the 4cycle classes? If not, then something did need to change. There isn't a WKA series right now that doesn't need to see considerable growth.

Bob,
I totally understand your point, but it is the same for everyone. If you have a DNF you are in trouble. Imagine if their were 50 entries of just alky engines. You would be in trouble that way as well with your theory on DNF albeit for slightly different reasons.

I wish I wouldn't miss VIR but unfortunately I might be in Spain on that date. CMP, Summit Point and NCCAR seem good dates and locations to me do far. Thanks for posting dates.

I have a question why would anyone want to run gas in our stock class? Is it so the clone guys able to change an engine and not have to worry about changing the tank so they can run another class I'm missing something or I'm stupid lol. Maybe someone can enlighten me on the reason.

would like to know this too when we used to race the star motor alcohol was fast but sure did eat the carbborators

Its not just the same engine on gas. It has other modifications to make up for the lost horsepower like a bigger cam

Back