2017 Recon Setup

cfhs52

The kart is a black 2016 date code r17 model if that makes a difference. We usually run southern kartway (Dannys) and Low country in south carolina. Just wondering if maybe you can help us get to a better baseline for what we need in our area so we can focus on tires more. We tried the baseline from Phantoms website and it seemed to make the kart tight and doesn't feel like it's transferring like it was, kart does not seem to like 67 cross. Motor is also mounted all the way to the right if thats an issue. Also should the caster blocks be in the forward or rear position and what should the track width be on the front and rear. 425 super heavy and not sure if we should be running higher air, we have been running around 6 and 7. Here is our numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200607_164014.jpg
    20200607_164014.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 227
First need to confirm your definition of tight, I think your saying you have a push ( you need to apply to much wheel to turn ) because a tight kart would be transferring to much weight overloading the right side, not not transferring weight, so if it won't turn where does it not turn ? Right at entry ?
Middle, exit, entire turn ? Also what size is the tracks and how much rear stagger ?

Yeah normally the kart will turn itself but just seemed lazy all the way through and didn't notice any engine bog. We were able to turn the rpm we wanted. We were on a new set of tires that had been rolled internally about 3 weeks before they were ran punching around 54 55. Thinking maybe the tire wasn't seasoned long enough and we also took left side off to achieve the numbers we had if that helps.

I lied lol my dad said the engine was bogging and felt slow. Its his kart just trying to help him get it figured out.

Yeah normally the kart will turn itself but just seemed lazy all the way through and didn't notice any engine bog. We were able to turn the rpm we wanted. We were on a new set of tires that had been rolled internally about 3 weeks before they were ran punching around 54 55. Thinking maybe the tire wasn't seasoned long enough and we also took left side off to achieve the numbers we had if that helps.
I assume HT 3s ? Would you consider the tracks tighter turned bull rings OR Average to bigger tracks ?

The kart is a black 2016 date code r17 model if that makes a difference. We usually run southern kartway (Dannys) and Low country in south carolina. Just wondering if maybe you can help us get to a better baseline for what we need in our area so we can focus on tires more. We tried the baseline from Phantoms website and it seemed to make the kart tight and doesn't feel like it's transferring like it was, kart does not seem to like 67 cross. Motor is also mounted all the way to the right if thats an issue. Also should the caster blocks be in the forward or rear position and what should the track width be on the front and rear. 425 super heavy and not sure if we should be running higher air, we have been running around 6 and 7. Here is our numbers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Front track width should be in as close as you can without wheels rubbing spindle arm, rear track width with tires on RR 1/4 " from inside of wheel to cassette hanger, LR 3/4" from inside of wheel to cassette hanger, those need set before scaled. Most move RF to rear hole for smaller tighter more bullring tracks.

It is average sized track on maxxis ht3s and my dad is the driver. We have been back in a little over a year but he raced 20 some years ago when things were a lot different. Left rear is more than 3/4 from cassette.

It is average sized track on maxxis ht3s and my dad is the driver. We have been back in a little over a year but he raced 20 some years ago when things were a lot different. Left rear is more than 3/4 from cassette.
Details on seat mounting, the entire seat height bottom of seat is close to bottom of frame tubing. ? measurement back of seat height off top of the axle. ?

I'd have to measure it. Don't know it right off, it was mounted from what james at PRC told us to mount it at. Im not with the kart right now, but when I get the chance I can get you the measurements.

I'd have to measure it. Don't know it right off, it was mounted from what james at PRC told us to mount it at. Im not with the kart right now, but when I get the chance I can get you the measurements.
If your sure it was mounted what James told you it's fine and not a VCG issue, make sure it's not in a bind or bolted to tight, you did use rubber grommets ? I'd confirm seat, adjust rear track with, rescale it increase left 1 % , and do the rest with tires, make sure you don't have to much internal, you might be low on air pressure as well. Then next time you race it as soon as you come off track from the race check pressure gains in tires to confirm if it's right side tight or just RR tight.

Yes rubber grommets were used didnt adjust the seat when we put on scales and wasn't having this issue before we changed the numbers. I'm thinking increasing left would help also. Do you have any idea what would be too much air for a hard track with very little bite? I know its kinda hard to say but do you have a general idea? I appreciate all the help.

Yes rubber grommets were used didnt adjust the seat when we put on scales and wasn't having this issue before we changed the numbers. I'm thinking increasing left would help also. Do you have any idea what would be too much air for a hard track with very little bite? I know its kinda hard to say but do you have a general idea? I appreciate all the help.
That's tough one but another lb should not be to much, Increase until it slides a little then back it off some, Curious what numbers were before you adjusted it ( and it seems like it didn't have this bogging issue ) and was that with your Dad driving it ? or someone else ? Sounds like an increase of cross was big part of the change, If your staying on the high cross I would increase it to 68 % as well.

My dad was driving and we went up from around 65 cross and took some left side and nose weight off and moved it toward the rear. Thanks for all the help.

I've blown that picture up as much as I can, and I still can't read it. Not your fault, my eyes are just really bad. I tried to fill out my spreadsheet from memory, (the first time I look at it it seems they could see it well enough) I think I'm close, and I see a lot of weight on the LR. Is that what you want? I'm not saying it's bad, I just hope your stagger can handle it?

There is 176 pounds on the left rear. Not real sure thats just where it put us on Phantoms baseline numbers. Does that sound high?

There is 176 pounds on the left rear. Not real sure thats just where it put us on Phantoms baseline numbers. Does that sound high?
Anytime you add cross you put more weight on the LR set your % ages and the corner weight's are what they are. Don't pay any attention to it.

Back