2020 legal 206 clutch

CarlsonMotorsports

Premium User
I don't know about the validity of .3; Jimbo did the testing, not me, but I can guarantee you that you want to use (and MUST use) the Autolite 3910X plug after March 31st -- it is NOT a choice with the Briggs rules.
From testing we did 12-15 years ago on the alcohol animal engines, the 3910X plug did help over shorter reach plugs.
We were cutting the shoulder on the iridium Denso plugs .080" in a lathe before that, and I can guarantee you that no one bought those plugs from us for $5! LOL

Jimbo

A trial w/o witnesses is like racin w/o tech
Even if the HP gain was only .001 you would want to use the Autolite 3910X.
The point is that "Compression is the Holy Grail" in making HP.
You might want to CC the head with the old plug and compare to the new plug.

Foot note: Al Nunley

kepner

OK, maybe last question: When I purchased my STINGER clutches, all total 5 over last 4/5 years or so, I "THOUGHT" they were legal?????? Thought rule said a "DRUM" clutch. I have never separately purchased a drum, I just ordered the stinger clutch as a whole. This was NOT A LEGAL CLUTCH?????. Someone said above, it has always been "illegal"? (Again, 206 class)

CarlsonMotorsports

Premium User
Even after 2017, Dave allowed the Stinger, because the specific wording back in 2017 was any "aftermarket" machined drum -- The Stinger never came with an "aftermarket" machined drum to my knowledge - they all came directly from Stinger (Premier.)

The current rule calls out that discrepancy.

kepner

Even after 2017, Dave allowed the Stinger, because the specific wording back in 2017 was any "aftermarket" machined drum -- The Stinger never came with an "aftermarket" machined drum to my knowledge - they all came directly from Stinger (Premier.)

The current rule calls out that discrepancy.
Gotcha! Thanks fellas.

Clark,
On the plug, our Dyno showed a .3 more HP then the Champion as well. On the track, there was NO difference in RPM or lap times.

As for the joint races in which I am a big part of putting things together, I would recommend we go with the 2019 rules BUT, allow the Autolite plug as well.

ClarkSr

I agree Kelly. But from what I've read here, most folks will want the new Autolite!
We'll be having a WKC board meeting in a couple weeks. And hopefully a WKA Road Race Committee meeting as well.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

With all the talk in the past year about a coming approved clutch list and machined drums I would say you chose poorly.
I'm actually pretty happy with my purchase. I got a great clutch from a great company (SMC). It is so much better than any other shoe clutch - it is absolutely beautifully made. I can use it for practice or if we build our own engine. I would totally buy more stuff from SMC. There's more to motorsports than the little LO206 sandbox.