2020 legal 206 clutch

The official Briggs news release says:
Rule Update: Clutch Clarification
For 2020, all participants must compete with an approved clutch model from one of three long-time supporting and proven manufacturers - Max-Torque, Hilliard and Noram. This will simplify the decision process, provide a consistent price point, and help tech officials efficiently do their job. The eight approved clutch models can be found at numerous dealers throughout the U.S.

The Official 2020 ruleset states:
32.b. Sportsman, Junior 1, Junior 2, Senior, and Masters Classes must run one of the following clutches:
1. Inferno Racing by Hilliard: Fire, Flame, Blaze or Fury
2. Max-Torque: Draggin Skin or SS
3. Noram/Premier: Magnum, GE, Ultimate or Stinger*
* NOTE: Noram/Premier Stinger must be converted to stamped drum (Noram P/N 01600715) by May 5, 2020 to be legal for competition.

That's 10 clutches listed in the ruleset verses 8 in news release. My guess is the news release was put together before the ruleset was finalized but after all the controversy over the clutch rules, you think they would get something as simple as this correct.

My thought was that they finally did pay up and the two extra clutches made the final "approved" list.

My thought was that they finally did pay up and the two extra clutches made the final "approved" list.
To really throw you off, because of "light" and "heavy" versions, there are really 13 clutches on the list according to the photo chart.

You are correct but heavy and light versions have been available for Noram/Premier clutches for quite a while and they are options directly from the manufacturer. No different than adding weights to the shoes in a Hilliard clutch.

If i was going to bitch it would be about something important but it would get deleted or moved to another page.

Not bitching. Just looking for clarification. Is it 8 clutches or 10. Hopefully press release was wrong and 2020 ruleset is correct. I sent an email to Briggs asking the same thing.

Ok, explain please. If I have 5 stinger clutches, for 3 karts, all clutches with original drums ranging from about 4 to 6 years old, are they good per 2020 rules? No idea if stamped or not, don’t recall seeing a stamped drum.

Ok, explain please. If I have 5 stinger clutches, for 3 karts, all clutches with original drums ranging from about 4 to 6 years old, are they good per 2020 rules? No idea if stamped or not, don’t recall seeing a stamped drum.
No stinger drum currently out there will be legal as of May 5th. When they go on sale in April, you will be able to get legal replacement drums for $10 each.

No stinger drum currently out there will be legal as of May 5th. When they go on sale in April, you will be able to get legal replacement drums for $10 each.
Interesting. OK. Guess I will. I am going to look back through threads, there must be some logical reason for having me trash my old stinger drums??? People cheatin a clutch drum?

Your drum will only be legal in a clone/predator class or a 206 series or track that is not adhering to the Briggs rule set. The stinger has always been a machined drum. It did not fit the new rule after wording was changed to tighten up the intent of ONLY stamped drums and provide a "clutch list".

Gotcha. Meaning that a "machined" stinger drum was found to be advantage over stamped drum perhaps? Or for some other reason that want ALL to be STAMPED. Wondering what was at heart of that decision concerning stinger drums and what's so special or different about a STAMPED drum?
And thank you for reference to clone or predator class, guess I wasn't thinking about that use.

I was told that Noram lied and said it was stamped, then machined, but in actuality it was machined only. So, to fit the new, tighter, actually enforced rules, those drums are illegal beginning may 5th.

As someone said above, it is still go at tracks that only loosely follow Briggs rules, or for clone, predators, etc that require any drum clutch. That is where our rocket rim got moved to, our predator motor

Back