2020 legal 206 clutch

Just speaking in road racing!!!
I would check with the organization you will be running under before going out and buying new clutch parts. KART isn't changing their rule on the clutch or even the spark plug that B&S posted as a 2020 rules UPDATE on their website!! We have ran the stinger and Hillard flame clutches. I prefer the Hillard just due to it being easier to change the springs. As for performance, didn't see any difference once we had both clutches set at the same engagement we wanted. We do use the Bully conversion drum as I already had sprockets let alone I couldn't get a 21 or 23 tooth sprocket for the Hillard drum back in September.

The people that cheat the old spark plug will have a huge advantage over the legal folks.

The people that cheat the old spark plug will have a huge advantage over the legal folks.
Jimbo I see your signature line "A trial without witnesses is like racing w/o tech" It always boiled my blood when you got people that stated "it isn't cheating if you don't get caught" along the lines of your spark plug comment. the ones that want to cheat, they could buy both plugs, hack saw them in half and super glue the Autolite top section on the Champion, nobody could tell.

Just speaking in road racing!!!
I would check with the organization you will be running under before going out and buying new clutch parts. KART isn't changing their rule on the clutch or even the spark plug that B&S posted as a 2020 rules UPDATE on their website!! We have ran the stinger and Hillard flame clutches. I prefer the Hillard just due to it being easier to change the springs. As for performance, didn't see any difference once we had both clutches set at the same engagement we wanted. We do use the Bully conversion drum as I already had sprockets let alone I couldn't get a 21 or 23 tooth sprocket for the Hillard drum back in September.

Looks like there's still a market for cheated up spark plugs.
Hmmm, now where was that dude's contact information again? :ROFLMAO:

Jimbo I see your signature line "A trial without witnesses is like racing w/o tech" It always boiled my blood when you got people that stated "it isn't cheating if you don't get caught" along the lines of your spark plug comment. the ones that want to cheat, they could buy both plugs, hack saw them in half and super glue the Autolite top section on the Champion, nobody could tell.

LOL, Could you tell us how to "hacksaw" that ceramic, and glue that center electrode -- maybe a youtube video would be helpful. :ROFLMAO:

I know you're just making a point, but there will be some poor fool out there that will try this, you just know it.

Yes but hopefully their spark plug would blow the insides out and not kill someone in the process.
I had this happen once to a V8 engine on a dyno. Fortunately, no one got hurt.
Unfortunately, serious cheaters will continue to cheat. Cheating the old spark plug was very easy.
It's pretty difficult to stop it entirely but we can make it more difficult and more importantly we can make the penalties for blatant cheating fit the crime. These people should be banned from the sport or at least kicked out of their local track or from the series they got caught cheating in.
"That's all i have to say about that" Forrest Gump

Carlson,
BRING IT!!!! Not only do I have a dam good driver in this class (Lindsay) who runs 100% legal, I also know when someone cheats (that's all I will say!!). I love this kind of talk as I sit back and wonder why people including motor builders seem to think that they have the up in making their motor faster then others. Lindsay has been in a old Intreped, old Rocket (I mean old) and now finally in a new Margay Brava since October and runs up front!! Guess what??? She had a new motor right out of the box on each kart that other then I checking the valves, nothing else has been done to them!! To clarify why a new motor each time, that's because we sold the other karts she ran and needed a new motor for the next kart. Here is my speed secret to all, to have a good driver who understands what the chassis is doing and not just on the straights!!

As for cheaters, I ask why??

Hardly.
Try again.

You didn't catch the "not so subtle" sarcasm in my posts on here?
That's alright.

But some poor fool is watching youtube as we speak, tearing apart their spark plugs to circumvent the resistor.
I hope they realize that the ignition will now interfere with their radios. So much for listening to Sirius while racing!

First I want to make it clear, the following has nothing to do with any organization or club. Like Kelly and his daughter with KART, my Son and I both road race with the WKA and the Woodbridge Kart Club. This is for my knowledge only.

I have a couple observations, questions and concerns with the new 206 rules, more with the timing then the content. This forum seems a good place to get well informed, objective information and thoughts on any number of topics, so here goes.

*We have all known for a reasonable period of time the OLD style seals were going to be illegal in 2020. That change is unlikely to effect very many. And extremely unlikely to effect many road racers.

*The longer fasteners for further sealing the engine is obviously a local rule which Briggs acknowledges. If your club wants to do that, you'll find out from them. Again, no big deal.

*Safety wiring the header bolts is something that has been required for some time in all Animal/206 classes in road racing. And I assume in sprints as well. Again, Briggs is simply cleaning up some wording for the obvious.

The next two items are a little more complex. **I assume MOST 206 racers do NOT follow this forum or routinely go on the Briggs website to check for 206 updates. **I also assume most racers don't read their own organization's rule book word for word. Especially 206 racers due to the fact you buy a SEALED, competitive motor right out of the box, with stable rules year, to year, to year. **Most if not all organizations already have their tech manuals/rule books out for the 2020 season. **I think we all would agree, the 206 classes have brought new people into karting, brought folks back to karting, and has keep many in karting. **CIK LO206 Sprint is currently the largest WKA road race class. **The last thing anyone wants to do in DQ someone with perfectly good intentions, for something they just didn't know about. **These are the reasons I'm concerned about the timing of the implementation.

*The clutch call out will only effect those "messing" with clutches. For the normal competitor, that uses one of the called out clutches, and follows the previous 206 rules as stated, this is not an issue. However, there may be a small number who purchased a "machined/tuned" clutch who just didn't know any better. But also assume they are perfectly legal, and may not know how to check it. This clutch rule takes effect immediately, so it could blind side someone who had no intention of running an illegal part. Would there be any down side for organizations to push the implementation until sometime mid-season or through the entire season? Or a one time warning in tech?

*And of course the spark plug! Not a big deal to change it, as long as the competitor knows to change it! I had no idea folks were "messing" with their plugs, so I understand the change. Also from what I gather on this forum, the new Autolite plugs may be a tick faster then the old Champion Briggs logo'ed plugs. Am I understanding that correctly? I'd guess no one is going to stock the Champion plug any longer, so there is a possibility they might be tough to get in the future. So the question is, what is the down side of allowing both plugs though mid season or even the entire season.

I don't want anyone to be DQ' ed for something they just didn't know about! What would be the problems with a one time warning in post race tech; implement these two rules sometime before June or July; or allow both old and new rules for all of 2020?
Thoughts folks? Thanks...
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Clark
Thanks for the excellent post. You made some good points.
I would hope the clutch and the spark plug rules would be covered in pretech and at the first drivers meetings.
I would also encourage everyone to let their track owners or race directors to make sure the rule updates are explained to all members and racers.

Jimbo, This is something that should be brought up at Spring club meetings, such as our rules/swap meet in March. Yes, not all attend this, but word travels fast once word gets out.

Clark, I know with us, we have a Facebook page to help get the word out, along with most people come and practice once or twice before the first race so word will travel. It is also #1 on my first driver's meeting notes. There will be enough correct items laying around that we will be able to get everyone on the legal gear by feature time, probably before. As for a 1 time warning, it depends on the clutch. If it is something like a clutchworks drum on a Hilliard, or the Halbert inner race, that is likely a warning. If it a rocket rim that is probably a placement penalty for the first race. If it is a SNY, that's a DQ, everyone was warned about those since last July, which covered over 60% of your race schedule last year.

Good luck! We race year round here. At our race a week ago I announced the new rules at the driver's meeting and was VERY clear that the rule changes ( clutch and spark plug ) do not come into play until our Summer Season which begins in April. It amazed me how many people went into a panic about having the correct spark plug immediately !!!

Good, well thought out post, ClarksSr.

I don't have a problem with the implementation of the new rules. Honestly, I wonder how many actual participants this will adversely affect by the timing?
Likely there are a few tracks (Florida, California, etc) who may be racing before the March 31st spark plug rule change goes into effect, but again, we're talking about a $5 spark plug. I don't believe that $5 should keep ANYONE from racing and/or supporting the LO206 program.

Other rule books (sanctioning bodies) and tracks are rolled out about this same time every year. For decades, we had new rules introduced by WKA right before Daytona, but generally weren't brought into effect until after the Nationals (Dec. 26-29th) to give a bit of time for compliance. Some years, we were given very little notice on a MAJOR rule change (ie porting in 1993) that were put into effect @ Daytona. Now, this was a major change that required extensive preparation (and some real expense involved) that overwhelmed us engine builders with last minute changes before our biggest event of the year.

So, announcing the Briggs ruleset at the end of January is not totally out of line, especially considering the recent exchange of top brass at Briggs Motorsports.

We've all known for 6 months or more that the clutch rule was going to be rewritten for 2020. There have been posts on social media, as well as on here, asking with high anticipation, when these new clutch rules would be released.
I suspect that the discussion has been prevalent at every local and national event going back to mid-summer.
Certainly the builders, shops, and tech men have been aware of this for that long.

Keep in mind, that Dan was brought on in December, and literally thrown into this deal with very little information to run with. He had (has) 1000 voices in his ears telling him what to do or not to do, and while being a kart racer himself, I doubt that he could have prepared for what he was getting into with the clutch deal alone.
I would ask that we all show Dan some grace as he acclimates himself to his new position and let him learn as we would want others to do for us.

As Jimbo suggested -- much of these rules can be easily addressed PRE-race, drivers' meetings, etc. to those who don't follow social media, etc.
Remember, compliance to the rules is the racer's responsibility. Be informed, be prepared!

Good luck! We race year round here. At our race a week ago I announced the new rules at the driver's meeting and was VERY clear that the rule changes ( clutch and spark plug ) do not come into play until our Summer Season which begins in April. It amazed me how many people went into a panic about having the correct spark plug immediately !!!

LOL, panic -- I like that. Why is it that everything to a racer is a "panic" situation, and drama ensues? LOL

I think tech men have some lenience to work with. This class is "local option" so you can extend some grace to racers if the rules change affects your local program adversely.
It sounds like you addressed this perfectly, flash.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. Again, the new rules are all fine, my only concern is someone shows up in post race tech who didn't know any better, with the wrong plug.
On the plug issue. Will the new Autolite perform better then the old LEGAL Briggs logo Champion?

One other thought. We all have a dog in this fight, even if that's as a racer, organizer or official. So I feel it's important to contact our respective organizations and clubs to assure they make the appropriate rules updates AND get the word out to their competitors one way or the other.

With KART, CES, AKRA, DART, WKA, and WKC all running joint events this season, it could get interesting. ;/

Have a good one folks,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Clark
You will want to use the Autolite 3910X
On a senior 206 the first comparison test i did the Autolite made .3 more HP than the Champion.
It has so much material that sticks out into the combustion chamber that it raises the compression that much.

Back