2020 legal 206 clutch

I don't know about the validity of .3; Jimbo did the testing, not me, but I can guarantee you that you want to use (and MUST use) the Autolite 3910X plug after March 31st -- it is NOT a choice with the Briggs rules.
From testing we did 12-15 years ago on the alcohol animal engines, the 3910X plug did help over shorter reach plugs.
We were cutting the shoulder on the iridium Denso plugs .080" in a lathe before that, and I can guarantee you that no one bought those plugs from us for $5! LOL

Even if the HP gain was only .001 you would want to use the Autolite 3910X.
The point is that "Compression is the Holy Grail" in making HP.
You might want to CC the head with the old plug and compare to the new plug.

Foot note: Al Nunley

OK, maybe last question: When I purchased my STINGER clutches, all total 5 over last 4/5 years or so, I "THOUGHT" they were legal?????? Thought rule said a "DRUM" clutch. I have never separately purchased a drum, I just ordered the stinger clutch as a whole. This was NOT A LEGAL CLUTCH?????. Someone said above, it has always been "illegal"? (Again, 206 class)

Even after 2017, Dave allowed the Stinger, because the specific wording back in 2017 was any "aftermarket" machined drum -- The Stinger never came with an "aftermarket" machined drum to my knowledge - they all came directly from Stinger (Premier.)

The current rule calls out that discrepancy.

Even after 2017, Dave allowed the Stinger, because the specific wording back in 2017 was any "aftermarket" machined drum -- The Stinger never came with an "aftermarket" machined drum to my knowledge - they all came directly from Stinger (Premier.)

The current rule calls out that discrepancy.

Gotcha! Thanks fellas.

Clark,
On the plug, our Dyno showed a .3 more HP then the Champion as well. On the track, there was NO difference in RPM or lap times.

As for the joint races in which I am a big part of putting things together, I would recommend we go with the 2019 rules BUT, allow the Autolite plug as well.

I agree Kelly. But from what I've read here, most folks will want the new Autolite!
We'll be having a WKC board meeting in a couple weeks. And hopefully a WKA Road Race Committee meeting as well.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Clark Gaynor Sr.

With all the talk in the past year about a coming approved clutch list and machined drums I would say you chose poorly.
I'm actually pretty happy with my purchase. I got a great clutch from a great company (SMC). It is so much better than any other shoe clutch - it is absolutely beautifully made. I can use it for practice or if we build our own engine. I would totally buy more stuff from SMC. There's more to motorsports than the little LO206 sandbox.

Keeping cost down is one reason lots of racers have to spend money. Making something illegal that was legal is not in the best interest of the sportsman racer, only the manufacturers. It also led to lots of people moving on to other forms of entertainment. Just my .02

Im wanting to get into this 206 game because of a local series in my area. After reading this nothing has changed, since I played the spec class game in the 90's.

...and the crying continues.

Look, you can't please all the people all the time.
Rules making is not a democratic process - racers don't get to vote.

There seemed to be a consensus that the racers wanted to stick to "economical" drum clutches only, rather than go down the road of custom conversions with machined drums.

As soon as one clutch was deemed illegal, that manufacturer pointed out the hypocrisy of allowing other manufacturers' machined drums, and a clear decision had to be made.

Again, for all you owners of Stinger clutches, THERE IS A STAMPED DRUM COMING.

It will be heavily discounted to $10 as an introductory offer to help out all current Stinger owners. Premier makes a good product. I'm sure it will be as good of drum as produced by the other manufacturers.

Safe assumption that lap times will remain unchanged due to these clutch rule changes.

Race on and enjoy karting!
Since 1972 when I started karting there were always those people who wanted to see how much money they could spend trying to out spend the next guy . for some reason they don't want to move on to a more expensive advanced class just hang out in a NOVIS Class and whip-up on the Newbie's and the budget racers. " just my thoughts"

Since 1972 when I started karting there were always those people who wanted to see how much money they could spend trying to out spend the next guy . for some reason they don't want to move on to a more expensive advanced class just hang out in a NOVIS Class and whip-up on the Newbie's and the budget racers. " just my thoughts"

I'm hear ya, but I wouldn't exactly call the 206 class a "novice" class. Sure, it can be, but it is also a very competitive "spec" class with some seasoned veterans, some who are enjoying not having to spend big bucks run a shifter, or even to rebuild a KT100, TaG of the week, etc. It was never intended to be a novice class, it's just an economical entry point to our sport that brings in a lot of new blood (aka novices.)

I am. Where is IKF now? They tried to keep costs down.
Someone else in charge now and maybe they don't care as much about keeping the costs down.
Today's USA business model seems to be, charge what the market will bare.

Food for thoughts!!!
If PEOPLE would leave things alone, then we would be alright!!!!! When PEOPLE start messing with things then the hammer comes down!!! That being said, take the motor out of the box, check the valve lash, put a pipe and clutch on it, set the carb as people have suggested and GO RACE!!! THEN, after 2-3 weekends of racing, re-check the valve lash and even possibly do a leak down to be sure the valves aren't leaking and go back to racing!!! If PEOPLE would have done this in the first place, a couple of rule changes made may never of happened....

Back