2022 Pursuit “tubes”

Educate me…
As I understand it but need it confirmed.

Left Rail is 0.083 big tube
Right Rail is 0.095 big tube
Cross tubes are all small tubes.

Is that correct?

Trying to not come off as smart here, but why does it matter? Chassis manufacturers use the big tube small tube and wall thickness as an advertisement to sell more karts as a marketing scheme. Slack(Performance Manufacturing) has managed to build a kart that has been successful on all conditions and not overly specialized in one area which hurts Performance in others. Why are you needing confirmation?

Trying to not come off as smart here, but why does it matter? Chassis manufacturers use the big tube small tube and wall thickness as an advertisement to sell more karts as a marketing scheme. Slack(Performance Manufacturing) has managed to build a kart that has been successful on all conditions and not overly specialized in one area which hurts Performance in others. Why are you needing confirmation?
I won't take your response personal as long you don't take mine as being a douche bag dad.

I am an automotive engineer with a background in ignition system design and now in Quality Systems to eliminate variation. I'm very data\technical driven. 12 years ago I started fabricating custom BMX racing frames for kids that went all across the country because there was NOT a company that made frames small enough for young kids. My son is now 15, but when he was three years old and I could NOT find a frame small enough for him. (his big brother was racing and he wanted to race also) Yes, there are 3 year olds that race BMX. This was niche's market was 100% hand crafted made to fit that specific kid. I enjoy the artistic side of the fab work from design to welding etc... It is very import to make a lite frame that could withstand the beating they take. Tube thickness, Tube size, Tube material and heat treatment with Quality of welds being the key variables of a lite durable frame. I got out of that business because I didn't want to carry the liability worry of a kid getting hurt on something I made. Paying the insurance is simple but the guilt I would carry if a kid got hurt does not have a price tag.

Why are you needing confirmation?
So.... I'm a technical geek. I have zero desire to every fabricate anything that would transport kids around a track at 50 mph. However, I am interested in various designs and why one works better than others in certain conditions.

But the biggest reason I want to know this is because another driver/dad asked me this very question on Facebook. I didn't answer him because I did not know the correct answer.

Slack(Performance Manufacturing) has managed to build a kart that has been successful on all conditions and not overly specialized in one area which hurts Performance in others
This is exactly the reason I chose a Slack.

P.S. My personal focus in 2022 is becoming more efficient, more accurate with less variation in our race day program. Specifically focused on change management and tire preparation.

to be absolutely sure you would need to call Slack and ask or measure all the tubes on an actual kart and pull the rear bumper and get out your calipers. I would not trust anyone who just told you unless they were from the factory or were the people bending them and or welding them up.

to be absolutely sure you would need to call Slack and ask or measure all the tubes on an actual kart and pull the rear bumper and get out your calipers. I would not trust anyone who just told you unless they were from the factory or were the people bending them and or welding them up.
Exactly, this is part of the "trade secrets" and very unlikely that anyone is going to tell you these specifics. These chassis manufacturers experiment with different tubing diameters, wall thicknesses, attachment points etc. Of course anyone can cut one up and measure but no one will just openly share this info with you.

Exactly, this is part of the "trade secrets" and very unlikely that anyone is going to tell you these specifics. These chassis manufacturers experiment with different tubing diameters, wall thicknesses, attachment points etc. Of course anyone can cut one up and measure but no one will just openly share this info with you.
especially to someone familiar with manufacturing and marketing tube framed structures

Educate me…
As I understand it but need it confirmed.

Left Rail is 0.083 big tube
Right Rail is 0.095 big tube
Cross tubes are all small tubes.

Is that correct?
I surely don't know.
Seems highly probable though .
Knew a private chassis builder who used two different thickness on the right frame rail, it was obvious with the connecting weld

Slack has a rear bumper downsize tube welded in the rear of the frame to prevent this very thing from happening. I guess if you needed to know bad enough you could always start cutting though lol

5455401020.jpg

Tech officials ultra-sonic test the wall thickness of roll cages regularly on big cars (sprint cars, etc.)
I'm sure you can find someone to test locally, or just bring your frame to a racetrack where they test wall thickness and buy the tech guy dinner. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Sorry gang i'm a little suspicious helping someone, who obviously has a manufacturing background, about how to determine the specs of one of the hottest karts on the current market. In other threads I have seen people refuse to divulge the inner diameter of a Jones tire ring in order to divert a copy from being constructed.
The Slack Pursuit is an awesome chassis that has proven itself against all others time and time again in all classes. that's anybody really needs to know. Would you NOT buy a winning kart because you disagreed with the wall thickness of the tubes? are we really going tell him how to build a chassis without R&D for the price of a sandwich?
He can always just buy one and chop it up. at least Performance would have made some money for their efforts

Sorry gang i'm a little suspicious helping someone, who obviously has a manufacturing background, about how to determine the specs of one of the hottest karts on the current market. In other threads I have seen people refuse to divulge the inner diameter of a Jones tire ring in order to divert a copy from being constructed.
The Slack Pursuit is an awesome chassis that has proven itself against all others time and time again in all classes. that's anybody really needs to know. Would you NOT buy a winning kart because you disagreed with the wall thickness of the tubes? are we really going tell him how to build a chassis without R&D for the price of a sandwich?
He can always just buy one and chop it up. at least Performance would have made some money for their efforts
FYI... I just bought one 2022 Pursuit and buying another one here in another week or two.

I'm not in the fab business of karts. It was a simple question that I can find the answer to if I **need** answered. It's really not important.

I simply did NOT want to incorrectly answer a question posed to me buy another person. His son drives a Charger Prodigy Cadet. If he really wants to know he can chop one up. I did not respond to him at all.

Also, if I wanted to copy a design from someone I wouldn't be asking for what I assumed is common knowledge on website. I can promise you that other Kart Manufacturers already know what each other have done from a design stand point. This isn't information that can have patent written for.

Good luck in your racing, in whatever form you choose be it BMX or karts (I was part of the Pro Rider Team back in the 80s when we were state champions) I do not want to accuse anyone of doing anything wrong. BUT.. I'm still suspicious and not entirely convinced either way about your intensions just a little surprised all the help being offered to learn a trade secret on the cheap.

If it were a true trade secret, you would effectively lease the kart from the maker, and return it when finished, after signing a laundry list of documents for manufacturers protection.
I believe Bloomquist late model chassis are "sold" with these provisions.

Similar situation would be buying a motor that you couldn't take through tech for fear of giving away secrets.

Intellectual property is difficult to control on items offered for sale to the general public.

Back