206 black out bearings question!

racerx59m

Just ordered a full set of 206 black out bearings for my 2018 Trick titlest from Trj karting and was wondering are they great good or bad?I have been on ceramic bearings for 4 seasons and cleaned them every week!But there just so ever so lightly starting to wiggle just a small amount so I thought it's time for a new set!Any tips and Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Most of us run conventional bearings, clean and lube them religiously and have zero problems. Not sure what a blackout bearing is but concentration on tires and setup are far mor important to me. Even with ceramic bearings the advantage is negligable.

Most of us run conventional bearings, clean and lube them religiously and have zero problems. Not sure what a blackout bearing is but concentration on tires and setup are far mor important to me. Even with ceramic bearings the advantage is negligable.
They are the same bearings everyone else uses, just a sales gimmick

Allot of those "ceramic" bearings are just bearings someone put ceramic balls in and they're rather tight. If they are starting to loosen up, that's a good thing. The balls are ceramic but the races are chrome steel so, once the races get frosted it doesn't matter what ball is in there. If it's a polymite plastic retainer, you can pop it out and polish the races. Then you would have ceramic with good clearance.

Allot of those "ceramic" bearings are just bearings someone put ceramic balls in and they're rather tight. If they are starting to loosen up, that's a good thing. The balls are ceramic but the races are chrome steel so, once the races get frosted it doesn't matter what ball is in there. If it's a polymite plastic retainer, you can pop it out and polish the races. Then you would have ceramic with good clearance.
They are called hybrid ceramics, and all "ceramics" for karting are of the hybrid type

There fine. We use the black out ones all the time and have many wins with them. As long as they spin freely with no resistance there all good if you ask me. I don't see much benefit in spending the Xtra money on ceramic. That's just my opinion.

Ceramic bearings- another "snake oil" to empty a karters wallet...

Use a quality standard bearing, clean and lube after every race and you'll be much further ahead even if you have to buy 4-5 sets a season.

There fine. We use the black out ones all the time and have many wins with them. As long as they spin freely with no resistance there all good if you ask me. I don't see much benefit in spending the Xtra money on ceramic. That's just my opinion.
Even though they spin free on stand...they may be extra rolling resistance on track due to being worn.

Now thats some interesting info .
I need too look at mine .

They are called hybrid ceramics, and all "ceramics" for karting are of the hybrid type
Actually, there are true ceramics available for karting -- just that few are willing to spend the money for the real stuff when "hybrid" ceramics are 1/4 the cost.
We offer ceramic bearings with the nylon(?) separator and one with no ball separator ring at all. We sell maybe 2 sets a year of the top shelf stuff. If we were racing at the highest level, that's what would be on our karts. For local stuff, the Black Out WMS bearings are adequate. I'd be more concerned about clean and lubricated bearings than what material they are made of for local stuff.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, there are true ceramics available for karting -- just that few are willing to spend the money for the real stuff when "hybrid" ceramics are 1/4 the cost.
We offer ceramic bearings with the nylon(?) separator and one with no ball separator ring at all. We sell maybe 2 sets a year of the top shelf stuff. If we were racing at the highest level, that's what would be on our karts. For local stuff, the Black Out WMS bearings are adequate. I'd be more concerned about clean and lubricated bearings than what material they are made of for local stuff.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
True ceramic bearings are ALL ceramic.
Ceramic balls and ceramic inner and outer races.
My comment stands, karting uses a hybrid

I like the black out series. I've used both the 207 and 206 on karts. At the end of the day it all depends how you maintain them. That goes for any bearing though. I've personally never seen the need to spend money on ceramics but that's just me!

True ceramic bearings are ALL ceramic.
My comment stands, karting uses a hybrid
Absolutely agree. What is being sold as "ceramics" in karting is almost always the hybrid due to cost, exactly as I said in my earlier post.
For instance, a 207 big bearing retails for $500 ea in full ceramic -- and who needs the heat resistance property of ceramics in the inner and outer races? Answer = no one in karting. Yet, there is still a demand for them for whatever reason, and they ARE available. Boca Bearings offers high end full ceramics, Worldwide Bearings offer a very good hybrid ceramic. Then there are MANY import hybrid ceramic lesser quality bearings being offered for considerably less money that are widely used in karting.

Absolutely agree. What is being sold as "ceramics" in karting is almost always the hybrid due to cost, exactly as I said in my earlier post.
For instance, a 207 big bearing retails for $500 ea in full ceramic -- and who needs the heat resistance property of ceramics in the inner and outer races? Answer = no one in karting. Yet, there is still a demand for them for whatever reason, and they ARE available. Boca Bearings offers high end full ceramics, Worldwide Bearings offer a very good hybrid ceramic. Then there are MANY import hybrid ceramic lesser quality bearings being offered for considerably less money that are widely used in karting.
Any bearing that isn't entirely made out of ceramic is a hybrid, end of story, and just like I said above, that you stated I was clueless on.
True ceramic bearings aren't used in karting.

Any bearing that isn't entirely made out of ceramic is a hybrid, end of story, and just like I said above, that you stated I was clueless on.
True ceramic bearings aren't used in karting.
I did not say that you were "clueless" Jamie. Don't be such a snowflake and be offended so easily. That's not who you are.

You said that "all "ceramics" for karting are of the hybrid type ."
Then followed up with:
"True ceramic bearings are ALL ceramic.
My comment stands, karting uses a hybrid."

I stated that not all ceramics for karting are the hybrid type, because they are not. There are full ceramics available for karting (in both American and metric.) They are simply cost prohibitive for most racers and you really don't need their heat resistance qualities (we're not using these on the space shuttle.)

Kart racers use hybrid ceramic bearings on their karts because they cost considerably less than full ceramics.
That's all I'm saying.

Have a great day my friend.

Back