206 carb problem

Gab507

We were in an accident and the kart went upside down. At the track we replaced the axle and FINISHED the day. I decided this week to take the carb apart and check float level. While I had the float out I stripped the carb of main jet, pilot jet, idle speed screw and air screw and put it into my ultra sonic cleaner with carb cleaner as I have done several times before. After cleaning I blew air through all orifices. I then put it back together and set float drop 1.060 and float height 0.860. It will not start. Pull the rope and choke it and fuel runs out the overflow. Took apart and cleaned again and rechecked to make sure the needle was not stuck or falling out too far. Put it back on with the same results. Took it off a 3rd time and replaced the float and needle with new. Same result. I then put the carb from my second engine on and it after checking float and it fired right up. I am at a loss. I have cleaned and set floats before but the fuel simply runs out the overflow when choking. Any help appreciated.

Between the end of the day, at which time it was running, and your trying to start it after service, something didn't get put back together right. I can't imagine what else it could be!

Check the air circuits. When I ultrasonic clean a carb, I take it completely apart, that includes the needles, etc. If you don't, then your cleaning solution (and subsequent vibrated loose dirt) can get trapped in there. When blowing these passages out, use low pressure air. Also be sure to inspect the brass ball plugs that seal the air bleed machining passages inside the bowl of the carb - there are three of them. I've discovered them missing on more than one occasion.
I no longer use heat with your ultrasonic machine when cleaning these carbs.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Where do you have the black drain hose from the float bowl going to?
If it only does it with the choke on will it start and run with out the choke?
I've see the float rub against the inside of the float bowl. (once)

If fuel is running freely from the float bowl, I would double check my drain to make sure it is shut. Also, I have had some float bowls themselves go bad (on W/F not 206 but its the same idea).

Make sure the fuel nozzle (above the emulsion tube) is in place? Might have fallen out in the sonic cleaner.

Great idea jj.
We've all forgotten to shut that one.
Like terry said, D'oh!!!

The drain hose was into my fuel bottle (separate from oil) but when I saw fuel in the bottle I pulled it out. Fuel did come out when I was not choking and the engine did not start. The drains were closed. When I get home I will check as Brian Suggested for check balls and check to see if the float could be hitting as Jimbo has said. Thanks for the responses.

Jimbo, I will check what you and Brian suggested and if I can not get it to work I will call and send it to you to check out. Either way I will let you know. Thanks for the help.

Back