212 Question

Timmonday

With a 356 cam I had 1.3 rockers and at high RPM the pushrod would not stay seated in rocker with 1.3 guide plate, went to 1.1 and if you get above 2800 it will bend pushrod. what will the outcome be with no guide plate under the 1.3? Or any suggestions?

With a rocker that has a good capture of the pushrod and zero lash I don't know why you'd need them. If your valve springs aren't stiff enough though you could have problems. Removing them could change the rocker angle depending on the style of rockers and you may need different length push rods. Obligatory I'm not a professional engine builder just my opinion.

Last edited:
I don't know lot about cams and such so I shouldn't even comment... But it seems like a lot of people comment on stuff they don't know about and I have a bit of input that I think might be right. I saw in one of ARC's YouTube videos that you can easily (valve spring) coil bind a predator with too much lift and then something will give. And that's what you are describing.

Agree with bomber315, 356 with 1.3 rockers puts you at 463. Seems like a boat load of lift. Would take a lot of spring even if it didn't coil bind.

Last edited:
Yup a lot of pocket cutting and guide trimming for spring clearance. What was your piston to valve clearance ?

Found the problem, it was timing. It has an adjustable timing flywheel and someone failed to tighten (me) would of thought that it would of advanced but it retarded

Correct: cam timing .
Or too much lift .
No clearance pockets cut in piston .
Not when the lights come on .

Back