224 Predator Valve float issues

Jpicard

Hello, I’m pretty knowledgeable in small engines and am having an issue with a predator 224. Recently removed governor and was getting extremely bad valve float adjusted to .003 on both intake and exhaust. Cold. Ordered a set of 18lb springs. Installed then adjusted to same .003 on compression stroke and it’s extremely hard to pull. Will rip your arm off. On one stroke and smooth on the other. I haven’t replaced the cam yet it’s next on the list. Other then that it’s stock 224 with governor removed and header , carb work. Tried going back to the stock springs. Pulls no problem. But has valve float at full throttle even on short runs. I’m at a lose any help would be appreciated.

Isn't this a hemi style head? The original 18 pound springs were too tall for the hemi, could it be a coil bind issue?

Hello, I’m pretty knowledgeable in small engines and am having an issue with a predator 224. Recently removed governor and was getting extremely bad valve float adjusted to .003 on both intake and exhaust. Cold. Ordered a set of 18lb springs. Installed then adjusted to same .003 on compression stroke and it’s extremely hard to pull. Will rip your arm off. On one stroke and smooth on the other. I haven’t replaced the cam yet it’s next on the list. Other then that it’s stock 224 with governor removed and header , carb work. Tried going back to the stock springs. Pulls no problem. But has valve float at full throttle even on short runs. I’m at a lose any help would be appreciated.
What rpm are the valves floating at and what driver and gear do you have on it.

What rpm are the valves floating at and what driver and gear do you have on it.
Not sure. A would guess around 5000 I don’t have a tac. Factory springs are extremely week compared to the 18lb springs. I’m told there 10.8 lb springs. And as to hemi head no . valve cover is non hemi style. So assume non hemi. Running a 10t clutch with 50t rear. On a mini bike. With jack shaft setup. Will be swapping for torque converter soon.

set your exhaust lash to ZERO cold.. the exhaust lobe is where your easy spin compression release is... too much lash...= no compression release simple 5 minute fix
Thank you I will try this. I’m about to head out no and go tinker with it some more.

Thank you I will try this. I’m about to head out no and go tinker with it some more. Also. Did you mean adjust the factory springs at zero to help with the float. Or put the 18lb springs. I would rather run the 18lb springs. But don’t want to rip my arm off every time I try to start it.

Yea. It runs. I played around with it more today. Swapped to the 18lb readjusted and everything seems to be good. Pulls no issue. Runs hard But for some reason on long hard runs. It fill fall on its face almost die out. I can play with the throttle get it going again. Feels like valve float but beginning to think something else maybe going on I’m still running factory carb. I’m wondering if at higher rpm’s it’s not getting enough fuel. I have a 36 jet but bogs down at full throttle. I swapped for a 32 runs great till it falls again. Could it be fuel. Plug doesn’t look like it’s running too rich or lean.

I dont think coil bind is the issue. But I’ll check it closer to confirm. Thanks.
I did not say that I thought coil bind was the problem. I don't think it is. You just asked what is coil bind?
I would say when you hit the throttle and it falls flat on it's face. That is one symptom of not enough fuel. going from a .36 jet to .32 is going the wrong way. And drill the tank cap! Just very well could be your problem. Or a pinched hose, Or the float not allowing bowl to fill completely. trash in the needle and seat, Check float level. It almost always turns out to be the simplest things. even the wrong spark plug or coil gap , plug fowling, etc. But Gas cap vent sticks out.

Back