28/32 or 30/32 chassis for yamaha sr. can ?

darney

Hello folks,
we currently have a Margay Brava 1.8ck chassis and we are running the KT100 in the junior can class. This particular chassis is constructed of 28/32mm tubing. It's been suggested to us when we move to senior can (son turns 15 this month) , we should use a 30/32mm. it seems to me that since we are only moving up 20lbs in weight, that the 30/32mm chassis would be to stiff and heavy for the KT100 ? We are ooking for suggestions. So far, the 28/32 Margay chassis has been great, and I hate to spend money on a 30/32mm chassis if I really don't need to.

Hi, that is a great question, and I do not know the answer. We are looking to upgrade my sons 2002 Margay Brava 1.2 with a newer chassis over the winter. He is running the Jr. can class too. His Margay has started developing small stress cracks in the frame, we have had to weld it several times so far this season. It never cracks in the same place, the welds hold fine but its obviously time to retire this one and upgrade. Every manufacturer seems to have almost too many options when it comes to new chassis, several of the models are listed as being able to be used in several different classes. Then I looked at Righetti Ridolfi Extreme karts, and every one of their chassis are supposed to be able to be adjusted and work properly for any class, and they claim they can be used in each class as the driver grows and develops. A local HotShoe around here has the option of running anything he wants, the upstairs of his families bodyshop/hotrod facility has at least 30 different karts sitting in it. He races one of the Extreme karts, he's the one who told me about them. He wins just about every time he's at the track, so it must work ok. If I can afford it I am going to order a new one over the winter. I would like two of them,as I run a 2000 Tony Kart Racer in the Senior pipe class. I have tried everything I can think of, but I just can't get that kart to rotate through the corners. It binds up on me and pushes, chattering the front tires until the rear snaps loose violently. A lot of guys run Tony karts with excellent results, so it just adds to my frustration. I had the kid with the Extreme kart run a few laps in my kart, and he had almost the same results as me, and he weighs about 190 lbs. I was 245 at the start of the season, but am now down to 215 thinking less weight would help. It made me quicker, but I still can't turn. Since the Racer chassis was originally a shifter kart, I am thinking it's just too stiff to drive properly with a KT100 and its lower power. I guess my opinion to your problem is, if it works good for him now keep running it until it no longer works, going to a stiffer chassis may give you the opposite effect you desire and end up slowing him down.

Back