3/8 Mile

plepper

I've got an offer to be able to run on a 3/8 mile oval asphalt track from the promoter of the track. He said if I got 10 karts together he'd make a class for us, problem is everyone local is running sprint karts. It seems to me that it would be all equal and fair if everyone used sprint chassis's. I personally have a CRG Road Rebel with a world formula but would want to include LO206 and clones in the mix. I'm looking for advice on setups such as gearing, weights ( local rules are as follows WF 390 min, and LO206/Clone 360 min). I'm thinking tires same as our sprint classes or open. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to keep it as easy and cheap as possible to start with and modify rules as needed if it catches on.

Wow 60 views and not one comment, is it a bad idea or just no interest. I'm looking for advice on gearing, tires and any other tips that can help.

Consider that 4cycle.com is primarily a dirt oval forum............and the usual size of tracks run are somewhat less than 2/8 of a mile, some possibly as small as 1/8 of a mile.

It may be that trial and error will be the best advisor, for you and your competitors.

3/8 mile is great. I use to run that and going to running it again soon. Gearing I use to run was a 18/56 use flat head stock. Tires very I ran all makes of tires, best results was tires that have been ran through a heat cycle. Good luck with bringing it together.

use to run 3/8 mile high bank and loved it. Size tire depends how fast you want to run. Gearing running a flat head stock, 18/56

Where is the track?

What views have you heard from racers that expressed an interest in running this? Starting off with regular sprint oriented karts sounds like a good plan. You'll have folks putting rear tires/wheels on the RF and doing other tricks with ride heights to start off so expect that.

The first couple of runs are going to be pretty experimental, try and keep it as low key and fun as possible.

I have zero experience in this, although it sounds like a blast. Apparently you can run LO206’s and clones together but on a longer course, clones will have the speed advantage and probably need a weight boost (penalty). Out here on at our local tracks the LO206 is pretty scarce I’ve never even seen one.

For the inaugural run I would hard tech for safety. 3/8 mile is a long run to build speed. Using Sanman’s ratio (18/56) would get me 65-70mph in my clone. Wow, have fun!!

We ran a 1/4 mile paved oval for a few years in sprint karts. I would recommend an open tire rule, a shoe/drum clutch and a no contact rule (especially if there is a wall surrounding your track). Gearing for us was 19/68 or so with a clone engine. I agree with Radial Fin, rear tires on the right front and front tires on the left rear. One inch of stagger and bring the left side wheels inbound as close as possible.

Thanks for all the advice guys just what i was looking for! We have a very good local sprint track and I enjoy driving there, but I also have friends racing the oval in cars and the promoter of the car track has expressed interest in having karts in the program. I'm just thinking that it might be another outlet for karting locally with a minimum of fuss and costs. It could be beneficial to both tracks and give the kart drivers more seat time. As far as the clone / LO206 we run them together at the sprint track with the LO206 having the advantage, I can't help but think that theres a lot of clone engines and parts sitting on shelves that could be put to good use.

Just recently ran at a 3/8 mile high banked dirt track (Atomic Speedway in ohio). Typical gearing for a clone was in the 19/61 to 20/65 range give or take a few teeth depending on how the track was changing.

Back