3 in 1 Plasma/Tig/Arc ever used one?

ABR #69

I've been looking to get a tig welder, and a plasma cutter. Easily throws you into $3k territory. I know you often "get what you pay for." I've read lots of reviews and they're mixed but mostly good. This is mainly "Hobby" use. Even though this is the more robust machine, I'd prefer it over the rest. The specs look good, I know a little about some of this stuff and what I don't my dad does. He's been a welder for many heavy duty companies. So when all the specs seem to suggest this is a pretty good deal despite the almost 1/3 the price is seems too good to be true. Thoughts, questions, advice? Anyone seen or tried them?

When I said hobby use, small repairs, building rc car roll cages, and general around the house projects for a country boy. Lol. Not building major projects, we have large industrial Mig for that.
---------------
GENERAL OVERVIEW

Make: LOTOS
Year: 2013
Model: LTPDC2000D (5th Generation with improved HF board) The cover of the machine is red.
Type: 3-in-1 IGBT Pilot Arc 50A Plasma Cutter 200A TIG Welder, 200A STICK Welder
Condition: BRAND NEW (In Sealed Factory Box)
Features:
• 50A plasma cutter.
• Dual Voltage (110/220), DUAL Frequency ( 50Hz/60Hz )
• Robust Infineon (By Siemens) IGBT Power Drive Matrix with PILOT ARC Plasma Cutter
• Brand new yet double function tested and performance tuned prior to shipping
• PAPST cooling system from Germany
• 3 Years Warranty on Parts and Labor from Lotos operated by Zion International Inc or other Authorized Lotos Dealers/Repair Centers.

• Input Voltage: 200~250 VAC
• Input Power Frequency: 50 hz / 60 hz (Better performance under 60 hz)
• Insulation Grade: B
• Housing Protection Grade: IP21
• Size: 15.5'' L x 8'' W x 12'' H
• weight: 43 IB, with ped: 52
• Certification: CE, CCC, CSA and ISO-9001 certification
• Power factor: 0.93
• Power efficiency: 85%

Accessories:
• Larger 60A Heavy Duty Plasma cutting torch. with Pilot Arc function and simple guide (not shown on the picture), (you can disconnect one cable to disable pilot arc function for this torch, all CNC users must use Pilot Arc function). (12' 2")
• 3 pieces are pre-installed on cutting torch.
• Tig Welding Torch WP-17 (with long and short caps) (12' 1")
• Air Filter/Regulator with accessories and brackets
• Air Hose (9' 3")
• Argon Regulator (U.S Standard Argon Regulator with CGA580 Connector
• Stick (ARC) Holder (10')
• Ground Clamp & Cable
• 220VAC Power Plug
• User Manual (Click Here)

• Quick Setup Guide (Click Here)

Warranty:
3 Years (Parts and Labor)

For Warranty Policy, Click Here.

ABOUT LOTOS
Since 2000 Lotos operated by Zion International Inc introduced Inverter Technology in welding and cutting machines. Lotos' latest high frequency inverter technology utilizes IGBT to deliver a far more constant, concentrated and precise current to the cutting surface. This technology has been substantially reduced in size and weight of Inverter Plasma Cutters. It helps you to easily achieve smooth, clean cuts of wide range of surfaces and material (e.g. stainless steel, alloy steel, brass, aluminum and other conductive material) with minimal heat input and without distortion of metal. Lotos Plasma cutters are designed especially for businesses and DIY (do-it-yourself) users, while fully accommodating the demands of professional operators.

SPECS:

Plasma Cutting
• 220~240VAC, 50/60HZ
• Duty Cycle: 60% at 50 amps and 100% at 35 amps
• Rated Input Current: 27 amps
• 3" Per minute @ 1" Steel (Severance Cut)
• 7" Per minute @ 3/4" Thick Steel
• 17" Per minute @ 1/2" Thick Steel
• Air Pressure Required: 60~70 psi @ 3.6 CFM

Tig Welding:
• Output Current: 15-200 Amps
• Power Usage 17 Amps @ 220VAC
• No Load Voltage: 62V
• Can Weld: Steel, Stainless, Moly, Ferrous
• Duty Cycle: 60% @ 200 Amps 100% @ 105 Amps
• High Frequency Start / HF Welding
• Working Voltage: 16.9V
• Gas Flow: 2-5L/min (using Argon supply)
• Footpedal fully adaptive. (Footpedal NOT included in the package)

Arc/Stick/MMA Welding:
• Output Current: 15-200 Amps
• Power Usage 23 Amps @ 220VAC
• No Load Voltage: 62V
• Can Weld: Steel, Stainless, Moly, Ferrous
• Duty Cycle: 60% @ 200 Amps 100% @ 95 Amps
• High Frequency Start / HF Welding
• Working Voltage: 25 Volts
• New Feature Added: Aluminum Welding for Stick Welding ONLY (patent pending)

Duty cycle is an important clue as to the "strength" of the unit.
The duty cycles mentioned are pretty good for the use you've mentioned.

The only problem with a "hobby" kit, is that sure as God made little green apples you are going to want to use it,
from time to time, on work it is not designed to handle.

At that exact moment you'll realize that going 1st class is the least expensive cost.
You'll wish you'd saved up and spent the extra G note to get something more substantial.
I'd SERIOUSLY suggest that you wait and buy at auction, or Craig's list, etc. what you really want.
Good luck tho, in whatever you do. .......Paul Doss

The duty cycles mentioned are 100% at 35 amp Plasma. which seems sufficient for 18-20 gauge sheet metal, and 1-8 to 3-1/16 mild steel. Only takes 12amps to sever cut 1/4, so seems it's more than sufficient at 100%.

Then 100% at 105 amps Tig. Which is sufficient for 1-8 to 3-1/16.
Mainly this would be used for 3-1/16 tubing, 3/8 tubing, light 3-1/16 to 1/4 aluminum, and maybe very rarely stainless. Most seem 95-130 amps required for 1/8 to 3-1/6 solid material. I suspect the aluminum will be the thickest material at 1/4 this machine would be used for. Seems sufficient as I'd never run continuous welds for six minutes on materials that size.

Just checking looking for opinions, and I agree I'd love to have a Lincoln or Miller Tig and plasma, but it would be atleast 1g difference for one machine, let alone two. Three year warranty and most reviews says it's more the person behind the welder than the welder if the welds aren't good. If I was fabricating large projects, as I said we have an industrial MIG for those. But, small repairs to aluminum, and small projects I just really wonder if it would handle it.

One thing I have learned with Harbor Freight, and for that matter almost ALL Chinese products, is "What is says it will do, and what it actually WILL do, are most times not the same". Generators comes to mind, I have one, 3500watt unit. My first, and last, Chinese generator. Honda will be next.

There is a reason the Chinese products are inexpensive ............ Just remember what your Dad told you years ago. "Son, you get what you pay for".

Good luck with your decision.

Dave E.

Well, I fully understand and agree most Chinese products are crap. But, not all. Some higher end electronics manufacturers use Chinese boards in their electronics. Their cheaper, but just as good. It all depends on quality control. Did they pay for it or not? These are built and sold in USA, but their parts are manufactured in China. I hate it as much as anyone but I simply can not afford $3000 dollars or more for two machines that will be used much less than what we have now. Also, this isn't a Harbor Freight item, unless they started carrying them recently.

Reviews rarely lie, especially on Amazon and places like that, they are often brutal when things are bad. But they're equally joyful when things are good. So, when some experienced welders say they are almost as good as their expensive machines, when used inside their capabilities of course. So, it's hard not to consider them as an option. Just wish I could find someone that actually had one to give experiences.

ABR.......
Always an good reason to go second class. Usually has to do with $$$.
Unfortunately, in this world, one gets what one has paid for.
That law is not repealed no matter how eager we are, or what good reasons we have to make exception to it.
Caveat emptor.

If the unit you cite seems right to you, and in your budget, get it.

Usually you get a good welder with a 3in1. But not 3 good welders. I have an esab 3in1. Great mig or stick. Not so good tig. My experience is by them separate.

I've researched them much more and found my intentions wasn't really a good use for it anyway. That then you take the chance of it being real crap and I just decided against it all together. What I "want" is in the $5k price range be just not an option for the uses I have for it.

Still considering a smaller flux core mig with gas option run solid wire and to do aluminum. But, falls into the same category of outside the price range for my uses. So almost decided to just stick with what I've got and hammer it out old school style.

Just don't trust 3-in-1's, Plasma cutters are cheap, Tigs (good ones) are not, used mig's (reasonable) will suit you better in the home shop. This is just my opinion based on 35-years working in the backyard.

One thing I have learned with Harbor Freight, and for that matter almost ALL Chinese products, is "What is says it will do, and what it actually WILL do, are most times not the same". Generators comes to mind, I have one, 3500watt unit. My first, and last, Chinese generator. Honda will be next.

There is a reason the Chinese products are inexpensive ............ Just remember what your Dad told you years ago. "Son, you get what you pay for".

Good luck with your decision.

Dave E.

We've had a honda on the front of our trailer for15 years.

Back