30 and 40 series torque converter 'MAX RPM' Question

KartFab

Here's the skinny.

Lots of regular go karters and mini bikers (those of us on the yard karts) really like having these 30 and 40 series torque converter contraptions because of the torque. And most of us keep the governor in. The 30 and 40 series torque converters do well for our needs. Then the whole racing crowd uses the centrifugal/disc style clutches due to their obvious benefit over the torque converter (little to no loss in torque- 'direct drive' after engagement rpm) .... so that is not the debate/question.

Question is, for those of us that want to rev high, and add the necessary parts to get there. How far can you push these torque converters? Here are a few examples (some personal) that I have found:

30 series: my drive unit blew up under 3600 rpm- says some random dude who didn't put thread locker on the crankshaft bolt.
30 series: geared somewhat properly, engine only revs to 4300 rpm, the torque converter is holding the engine back through parasitic losses and relatively low hp for the gearing
40 series: built 390/440 engine, torque converter craps out at 6000 rpms
30 series: no problems revving to 7k rpm with built predator engine
40 series: no problems revving to 5500 rpm

So..... what are your thoughts and any examples of anyone running the 30/40 series torque converters on modified engines?

I run Sprint courses and have often thought of the torque converter... In ways it has advantages over ur standard clutch. But I also run a 15+HP s/a and don't want to spend the cash to blow it up...

Back