315 isky cam

JRW31526

i did some more digging on this cam, i decided to email tim and ask him what rockers would work good with this cam, he told me 1.3s he said that he used the 1.3s on one of his motors and it worked great, but the rocker arms are 90 bucks, and champion rockers are only 30, i assume that the 360 would be a great cam but how much less power would i have if i just used 1:1s and the 360, the 1.3s would be ~398 lift with the 315, either way i will be turning close to 9500 which would have more bottom end? and would just keep going on the top end, also would champion rockers be more reliable than billet rockers from arc, i would assume the champion rockers would not sway like billet rockers would

I run the 315 with the 1.2's and I win a bunch( and I do mean a bunch) of races with this setup so don't be scared to run the 1.2s. I also run the arc billet 1.2's they are $90. Oh and I've never turned mine over 8600. If you gear your kart right, get the right setup and TIRES you won't need all those rpms, You gotta get the kart rolling though it's all about tires. I've run this setup on a 1/4 mile track too with no problems.

I think I'll go with the champion rockers, and the 360 cam, other than the block what do you have to clear to use the 360, I heard you have to grind off the side of the lobe to clear the crank, any tips would be helpful

use the champion rockers....snapped one exhaust and one intake on our two motors with the standard rockers...until we swapped out the pushrods and went to the champion rockers. with the high lift that the 356 cam has that we have in our motors, standard push rods bent and snapped the stock type rockers. once we figured out the push rod and rocker problems, the motors run great! i answered in your other post, but we didn't touch the cam lobes at all...all we did was clearance the block and everything went together fine!

315 with 1.2's will out perform that 360 from top to bottom. By the time you get that 360 rolling the 315 will be kart lengths ahead and it won't quit pulling either just trying to keep you from wasting money since you already have the 315. And the 315 will out run that 360 without having to turn it 9000+ rpm, do remember that theses engines were originaly very low rpm pressure washer motors. Put a big driver on that thing with a med size rear sprocket(60 ish) get your tires right and let it roll at about 8600-8800.

I don't already have the 315, ill be purchasing my parts at a later time, I could get the 330 it will have 363 lift with the champion rockers, (them are the rockers that Im getting) and the 315 with 1.2s would be .378 lift the 315 with 1.3s would be 398 lift the same as the 360 with the 1.1s, would the .330 with champion rockers pull harder in a good rpm range than the 360, cause Tim isky said the 315 with 1.3s pulls hard, he also said that the 360 will pull really hard with the carb Im getting and how big my heads valves are,

tim is the one that i got all my info from prior to my builds. figured that if anyone knew cams, it would be the Isky family!

You Know Screamer;) You Try to Help? people don't read the answers or even between the lines; From now on I'm just going to keep doing my heads and building "Engines"........ Possibly give my opinion Only if the question is asked specifically of me;Because after 40+ years of THIS I Guess I haven't Gained any experience or learned a Damn Thing.Oh By the way your ? about the homemade rod?....Sorry I forgot;.....It was a mid 50's REO engine 211 series (how weird)cast iron/w bottom sump, R.H.Phelan ign;Marvel Schebler carb.Off a reel mower,one of the few slant 1 cyl engines of the time.Protoype rod was made of wood,Then1/2 alum plate with drill press,hacksaw reamers,brake cyl hone,1/4"tap,tin can, slinger Super crude!...... Clearances whats that? But on my wooden framed go-kart with roller-skate wheel Clutch?? and v-belt It still ran when school started again Those were Good Times No "Obamacare" to worry about..........After that I wanted to and did Learn.
Thanks for asking Buddy, brings back fond memories and good times Dave

Last edited:
tim is the one that i got all my info from prior to my builds. figured that if anyone knew cams, it would be the Isky family!
He told me 1.3's as well, and I tried it I've also tried all the combos you are talking about except the 330 it's next but someone must put me in my place with the 315 first and that has yet to happen. I'm not trying to talk big these are just facts that I've run across personally. The 1.3's with the 360 took forever to get going. Tim drag races we circle track race, we need fast recovery from on and off throttle. If you were to bring a 315 with 1.3's or a 360 with 1.1's to the track(any size) and I was there with my stock stroke stock bore clone with 14cc head same size valves as you with my 315 w 1.2's I would pull you 3+ kart lengths to the first corner and never look back, it's all about gearing and tires after that. I'm not challenging or threatening anybody just giving you a real race scenario for free that you can't see on paper. Just my personal experience as a racer and half a_ _ engine builder. Jmho for what it's worth

Sorry I quoted wrong person Miley 56 that quote was to JRW31526 response to Isky saying go with the 1.3s on the 315

315 with 1.2's will out perform that 360 from top to bottom. By the time you get that 360 rolling the 315 will be kart lengths ahead and it won't quit pulling either just trying to keep you from wasting money since you already have the 315. And the 315 will out run that 360 without having to turn it 9000+ rpm, do remember that theses engines were originaly very low rpm pressure washer motors. Put a big driver on that thing with a med size rear sprocket(60 ish) get your tires right and let it roll at about 8600-8800.

Whats the duration difference between these two cams? With those rocker arms you'll have more lift than the 360 at the valve.

i am looking for top end, i will not let off the throttle for a while on the track im running, im running a VERY large oval track, i cant express VERY enough, i dont know what size it is but it is huge, i will probably try out the 330 this time around, im pretty sure it will make some good power throughout the rpm range

both the 360 and 315 have 260 duration, the 360 with 1.1 rockers is 396 lift and the 315 with 1.3s is 409, the 315 with 1.2s is 378 and the 330 with 1.1s is 363 lift, if im right, i know im close i think. all three of these cams have 260* duration

so im guessing the 315 with 1.3s and the 360 with 1.1s would be huge top end and a long time to get to it
and the 330 with 1.1s and 315 with 1.2s would pull through the whole rpm range?

correct me if im wrong

I don't think the Champion rockers are 1.1:1 ratio. I believe they are 1:1 ratio. If your running that big of an oval where your not out of the gas much there is no reason to turn it 9500. It will break parts. Also you'll need upper end hp as you won't come out of the torque/hp band very much. Big duration and lift will get you there. Sounds to me that you need to use the 360 cam. Maybe someone else will chime in and back me up... who knows.

ain't no problems flash!! i'm reading this thread with interest....learning all i can about the cams. we run on a 4/10 mile paved oval and we do get up there in the rpm range that the high lift cams like. the champions are 1:1 (what i was told by tim) and i have seen my engines hit 9200 for several laps (traffic and cautions help keep the overall rpm down for the course of the race so it's not sustained at 9200). one friend on a flathead twisted that tail to 9720 (recalled on his micron 3 tach)...that's haulin the mail!!

Back