330 Clone Class

We have a 2014 Triton, running 330 clone unrestricted class. Cash Racing engine. The driver is 150 lbs soak and wet. Running 1/5 mile slightly banked clay track. Set up info: Burris 33a tires, 8 lf & 12 rf caster, +.25 lf & -3.0 rf camber, 46.48% nose, 57.58% left, 66.87 cross. We are great on starts, but not good all the way through the turns (loose). My question is, should we be setting up for Junior 3 numbers or senior numbers? Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

My thoughts are before you start adjusting is the driver doing his/her job. Hitting the marks everytime? Entering right so to not cause a push or even loose condition throughout that turning process? What’s done with the tires ? Are they starting good then going away or the opposite. I’m real hesitant to start turning wrenches right off. I try everything I can do first to use that for adjustments. Try sitting higher in the seat with a cushion, try leaning left or right, throw your legs around to see if that helps. All that body placement will help you turn the right screws to dial it in.

What kind of air pressures ? Loose just the rear or the whole kart ? Are you prepping the tires ? if so with what ?
Air pressure is 5/6, and tires were prepped the same as we've always done per track conditions require. This is the drivers 3rd year racing at this track. 1st he ran 375 Predator and won the championship. 2nd year ran 375 Predator and 330 clone, finished 3rd in both classes championships. We were trying to step up our game this year, our set up last year was 45 nose, 57 left, 61 cross. Just felt that the Triton had more to offer on a higher cross set up. What I'm struggling with, is should I go with Phantoms Junior 3 Baseline numbers or go with their senior baseline numbers for a starting point in the 330 lb unrestricted class. We're just looking for a starting point. Loose just in the rear of the kart. My first thoughts are to take some cross out, from 66.87% to around 65%.

Your current set up ( even add 1 % left ) should make more speed with tires right. Are you on older date code hard 33's with just hard track prep ? Or newer date code prepped with medium prep or even more aggressive ? How much rear stagger ?

Your current set up should make more speed with tires right. Are you on older date code hard 33's with just hard track prep ? Or newer date code prepped with medium prep or even more aggressive ? How much rear stagger ?
We're on older 33's 2016's with hard track prep. Usually the track requires light prep and sometimes only cleaner. 1 1/2" front stagger and 1" rear stagger

We're on older 33's 2016's with hard track prep. Usually the track requires light prep and sometimes only cleaner. 1 1/2" front stagger and 1" rear stagger
I'd say the biggest part of your issue is tires are to hard, I'd be trying 2018 or 2019 little softer no prep. Is that the 33s that worked for predator 375 ? If so big difference from predator 375 to clone 330.

I'd say the biggest part of your issue is tires are to hard, I'd be trying 2018 or 2019 little softer no prep. Is that the 33s that worked for predator 375 ? If so big difference from predator 375 to clone 330.
Yes Sir, the tires that worked on Predator were old and harder tires with minimal prep. And you're exactly correct. Big difference in those 2 classes. We have 3 new sets of 2020 32's available for this kart. They've been cut for about 2 months now. All round cut, how would you recommend prepping those tires? They were punching around 55-57 last time I checked them. We're using Insanity Prep and have just about all his preps on hand.

After that if I went to any adjustment, first I would pull little rear stagger 7 /8", and decrease caster split to 8 an 10, but 8 an 12 should be best. Also with 33s if you get to much prep in them on a track that moisture is sealed over or gone they will just slide around as well.

Yes Sir, the tires that worked on Predator were old and harder tires with minimal prep. And you're exactly correct. Big difference in those 2 classes. We have 3 new sets of 2020 32's available for this kart. They've been cut for about 2 months now. All round cut, how would you recommend prepping those tires? They were punching around 55-57 last time I checked them. We're using Insanity Prep and have just about all his preps on hand.
You mean 33's where you say 32s ?
Describe track condition ? Biggest question does it stay moist. ?

Racing Promotor, I'm assuming what you're getting at. Is the lighter kart with more power and more speed needs a more aggressive prepped tire to make grip.

Racing Promotor, I'm assuming what you're getting at. Is the lighter kart with more power and more speed needs a more aggressive prepped tire to make grip.
No not always with 33s in fact very seldom, best results will be right date code, right cut, no prep simple green only, exception it stays moist or they re water throughout the race.

You mean 33's where you say 32s ?
Describe track condition ? Biggest question does it stay moist. ?
No, most of the time it will dry out. Unless it happens to come a shower of rain and delay racing for a while, which has happened 4 times in 2 years. Most of the time it starts out pretty wet for practice and dries from there on out. Kicking up dust from tires in heat races and more in features.

Yes 33's typo
Try the hardest set of new tires, no prep scuff them in during practice first, then re run them simple green only ( disregard comments your gonna get it will take the oil out ) they should be better, but guessing may be to fresh and give up on long run, if they do you know you need 2019 never prepped.

No, most of the time it will dry out. Unless it happens to come a shower of rain and delay racing for a while, which has happened 4 times in 2 years. Most of the time it starts out pretty wet for practice and dries from there on out. Kicking up dust from tires in heat races and more in features.
Then NO don't prep more aggressively.

No not always with 33s in fact very seldom, best results will be right date code, right cut, no prep simple green only, exception it stays moist or they re water throughout the race.
Got it, I will prepare some left rears with 7/8" stagger and try your advise on the tires. They never put more water on the track during the night. Sometime the few will get thick and fall on the track during the hot summer months. Thanks For Taking the Time to Help!

Try the hardest set of new tires, no prep scuff them in during practice first, then re run them simple green only ( disregard comments your gonna get it will take the oil out ) they should be better, but guessing may be to fresh and give up on long run, if they do you know you need 2019 never prepped.
Thanks!

Got it, I will prepare some left rears with 7/8" stagger and try your advise on the tires. They never put more water on the track during the night. Sometime the few will get thick and fall on the track during the hot summer months. Thanks For Taking the Time to Help!
That little bit of dew is not enough to warrant start prepping 33s. Maybe a slight pressure change.

Back