#35 chain versus #219 chain.

Better gear selection due to more teeth. Years ago, 219 was certainly superior. But from what I've seen when we started running 206's, the current 35 is pretty good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'd never switch to 35 on our X30. We use the best 219 o-ring chain we can get on that. But for 206's and likely Animals, the high quality 35 is fine. As you know, we road race, so we're talking very high speed, 30 minute races.
Short story, if you want a finer gear change selection, switch to 219. Otherwise, in my opinion, 35 is fine and easier to work with.
Clark.

If we are talking 4 cycle In my opinion, if there is an advantage, there are only a few drivers that are working in a small enough window for it to matter. Chassis setup, driving, a solid engine setup will make up nearly all of the performance. Add to the mix if you are using 35 do you go with traditional sized sprockets and drivers or minis? Again, just one guys thoughts but Stick with whatever you already have.

219 was developed in Europe because of the lower overall gear ratio versus #35.

The chain may or may not be of higher quality. If you are using high quality #35 space chain, there's very little difference that I can see, and I've ran both.

I agree Gab. All the other stuff makes more difference then the type of chain you use....assuming you're using really high quality chain 35 or 219.

I will say, my Son though there might be something to running 219. Eg: with 35 gears...a 57T might be too much, and a 56T might be too little. But a 56 1/2T would be just right.......you can fine tune your ratios better with 219. But only a little.

Now the down side of 219 for 4 strokes. Chances are excellent that if you're at the track and break something, or want to try a combo you don't happen to own, there's a really good chance a fellow competitor will have what you need with 35. Very unlikely with 219. Just the opposite for Tag's. Nobody uses 35 on Tag's. 35 drivers aren't even available for them anyway.

And as you noted Al, for sprint racing 2 strokes 219 is the only good option due to the extreme ratios required. I remember WAY back running Yamaha's on a small sprint track with 35 chain. Running the smallest driver you could get, it was a matter of how big a rear gear you could run without it hitting the track!

Sorry Tim, we got a little off track!!!!

For 4 stokes, I think I'd stick with 35......
Clark.

around my area a #35 is better. if you broke a chain and didn't have a spare chain or needed a different sprocket to compete you're gong to be done for the night with a 219 as no one stocks them or has drivers/sprockets to fit.

219 is lighter seems to rob less power but my 8 yr old has broke 2 this year with contact to the front end. Going back to 35 for him, bullrings and kids too rough on them.

It is all about sprocket circumference. The tooth count is different yet the overall ratio is the same.. You can win a race buy a .05 difference in your overall gear ratio. But again. you have to look at the circumference of each sprocket.

Where do people get the idea that there is a difference in the ratios between 219 & #35 chain.

12/60 is 5 – 1, tell me how that changes?

Where do people get the idea that there is a difference in the ratios between 219 & #35 chain.

12/60 is 5 – 1, tell me how that changes?
because a lot of bad information gets floated around and people see someone win with x so it must be the key to why they ain't. you can sell Mumbo Jumbo VooDoo to two groups of people, racers and guitar players 24 7 365.

Grab the popcorn its going to get good .
numerically the same .
root diameter % of change . Is the variable .
no different the a wider spaced axle needs more stagger .

5-1 gear ratio as long as the drivers are the same the engine turns 5 times the axle turns once if the engine turns once the axle rotates a fifth of a turn 5/360=72 degrees. math don't lie there is no way the chain size can change that equation. doesn't matter if its a #35 chain a 219 strait cut gears, or a toothed belt or cogs.

I would honk
It is all about sprocket circumference. The tooth count is different yet the overall ratio is the same.. You can win a race buy a .05 difference in your overall gear ratio. But again. you have to look at the circumference of each sprocket.
Hallelujah!

Well... math says that if you make one circumference.225 shorter and one circumference.167 shorter there will be a difference......

that being said, any advantages or disadvantages of either chain should do far down the list of stuff that makes you faster, that I think it’s just ahead of helmet shape....

Back