383 Tilly

Hi group, I was looking through my giant pile of sad unfinished projects and I found a tilly I bought years ago on eBay. I thought it was a flathead carb but I think it ended up being for one of these new fangled overhead machines. Will this carb work with a stock Briggs overhead valve engine or does it need mods to go with it? Trying to fill up the barn with as many running go karts as I can, thnx Ale.

seems like a odd number . 380 -360- 348 .
At most it will be a rich carb might have to keep the needles in from normal 1.5 - 2 open .
My thought anyway .

16256E85-9537-4A75-99C0-7BAB638D0963.jpeg

It is designed for OHV. All that means is the throttle lever is on the left when mounted upside down, which most all Tillotson carbs are mounted upside down when on a 4-stroke go kart engine. As long as you have clearance to hook up your throttle it will be fine. Do you know if it’s set up for gas or methanol? If it floods terribly and dies on gas it’s most likely set up for methanol.

It is designed for OHV. All that means is the throttle lever is on the left when mounted upside down, which most all Tillotson carbs are mounted upside down when on a 4-stroke go kart engine. As long as you have clearance to hook up your throttle it will be fine. Do you know if it’s set up for gas or methanol? If it floods terribly and dies on gas it’s most likely set up for methanol.
Sharp needles. Does that mean gas?

Not sure the original purpose but EC bought them to convert them into super stock carburetors. There are very few carburetors we designed that start as OHV carburetors so it's more than likely a 2-cycle carburetor. Jon may know what they originally were.

Someone said the original Bob’s had a crash couple years ago? What a shame, there was so much info on them, I haven’t been here in a while and there are definitely some changes with the popularity of the Chinese parts. Does it look like the Tilly’s will be going away?

Someone said the original Bob’s had a crash couple years ago? What a shame, there was so much info on them, I haven’t been here in a while and there are definitely some changes with the popularity of the Chinese parts. Does it look like the Tilly’s will be going away?
Tillotson has changed a lot and more than a carburetor company. They have the lion's share of the 2-cycle market, replacing a lot of the Ibea carburetors. We also helped them build 3 versions of the Honda/Clone Engine that is basically what the Briggs Animal version is to the Intek, a stronger, better engine designed for racing. Tillotson also now owns PVL. As for the carburetors for modified engines, we still sell the Tillotson but we have also made billet versions of the Tillotson diaphragm carburetors that gives us more flexibility to make stronger components, greater range of sizes and applications.

Back