390 valve spring retainer trouble

plkimler

I have Stainless Steel valves, with dual springs. The valves keep wearing down into the Titanium retainers.
367 lift cam
1.3 roller rockers
On a 460cc
Anyone having this problem ?
Solutions ?

Thanks

Not sure what is meant by "valves wear into the retainer". Do you mean the lock that holds the retainer? Do you use a two piece type lock? If so, I would suggest you check and make sure the taper on the retainer and the taper on the lock is the same. I bet they are not. Are they custom made retainers? If not, what is your source for them? Something from another engine made to fit? have you tried aluminum ones? do they do the same? Sorry for the questions, Im just curious as to the problem and the cause. Good luck.

Yes the locks wear into the retainers. I have bought from two different sources. The wear marks appear to be even, like the lock surfaces were in contact with the retainer. The intake is always worse.

I haven't tried the Alluminum ones in a while. I figured they would wear easier. I'm sure there are thousands of guys running this combination. I'm surprised no one has ran into this issue.
I have a new set of titanium retainers and locks from the same outlet. Maybe they will hold up.
Starting to wonder about the valve itself.

A couple things to check. May not be the problem.
Check retainer to guide clearance at max lift.
Check to see if you are getting valve float or bounce after the valve sets down. This bounce and the harmonics in the spring will pull locks into retainer. Intake valve generally being larger makes this worse.

Just some thoughts.

With the Raceseng roller rockers, it says no to use a guide plate. The bounce part with dual springs, I don't know how.
Thanks

I already have the long valves, after measuring.
I put a new set of 50lb. Single springs on with new titan retainers and new locks. We'll see how it does.

With the Raceseng roller rockers, it says no to use a guide plate. The bounce part with dual springs, I don't know how.
Thanks

You may have already caught this. I was talking about retainer to valve guide clearance, not guide plate. Sometimes the guide sticks up a little too far, especially if it has been moved up out of the bowl area. You can never be too careful.

Good luck!

Back