3hp flywheel ??

If it is a cast iron wheel it should be alright, we ran them on stock appearing at up to 9000 RPM. That is the wheel used on the flathead Blue Wazoom engines. If it is cast aluminum DO NOT USE IT!!! -- Chuck

If it is a cast iron wheel it should be alright, we ran them on stock appearing at up to 9000 RPM. That is the wheel used on the flathead Blue Wazoom engines. If it is cast aluminum DO NOT USE IT!!! -- Chuck

Dont see why a cast aluminum flywheel would be considered bad to you but cast steel is good, when akra and wka both consider cast steel unsafe and pv l flywheels have pretty much proven that cast aluminum flywheels are alot safer to use and give you some of the advantages of an aluminum flywheel at the same time, like less rotatinng mass than a steel wheel.

first it not a clone flywheel. second the cast aluminum briggs flywheel is made and balanced for a push mower and has strength issues.
It has also been proven to explode several time by different people. not the magnet coming loose; flywheel disintegrating.
The briggs cast iron is inherently stronger.

I deff wouldn't run the cast aluminum, they will EXPLODE !!! But my ?? was about the stk cast iron briggs flywheel because I have taken a few limiteds apart that had the 3hp flywheel on it & the guy was turning it 9000+

On your original question, is a cast iron 3 hp wheel safe for 8000 to 8500 ? I'd have to say yes, we ran them on opens for years, turning them higher than that. You would want to use one that hasn't been beat up, or machined in any way. When Limited's started turning rpm's in the 9000 + range the stock 5hp wheel showed it's weakness a few times and that was more than enough to mandate a billet wheel, the 3 hp wheel with it's smaller diameter and lighter weight doesn't have quite as much force acting upon it trying to tear it apart. I've never heard of a 3 hp wheel coming apart , and it was the wheel of choice for opens for a long time. Anyone out there have a bad experience with one ?

Ignore my post, i did not know the briggs cast aluminum wheels were any different than other cast aluminum wheels, i am new to briggs. Sorry for the confusion.

Ran the 3 hp Briggs cast iron flywheel on Opens for 20 years with no major problems, turned them close to 11,000 rpm at times on G-200 Hondas. It was pretty much the only flywheel to run. We did sling a couple magnets over the years. Charlie sox did have a new one explode on the stand and almost lost a couple fingers. It was always in the back of my mind that they were dangerous, but I wouldn't run one now because there are billet aluminum ones that you pretty much don't have to worry about.

Well, there's your third guy with experience to attest that it should be fine -- I'll be #4. However, as has been pointed out already,I wouldn't be using one that's been beat up. I'd add not to use a used flywheel since you really don't know it's history at all. New one in a box, I wouldn't be afraid of at that rpm (especially the 3HP flywheels.) Now, consider what a new in the box Briggs flywheel costs compared to a billet aluminum one? I think it's a no brainer at this point.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ran the 3 hp Briggs cast iron flywheel on Opens for 20 years with no major problems, turned them close to 11,000 rpm at times on G-200 Hondas. It was pretty much the only flywheel to run. We did sling a couple magnets over the years. Charlie sox did have a new one explode on the stand and almost lost a couple fingers. It was always in the back of my mind that they were dangerous, but I wouldn't run one now because there are billet aluminum ones that you pretty much don't have to worry about.

x's 2 , I believe using a impact gun / beating them off with a hammer or the history behind how some flywheels were put on and taken off was more the culprit . I never had a issue with them either,I built limiteds and opens for 20 years, but heard the horror storys.

a guy i worked with who ran a kart shop for 35+ years had a 3hp cast iron flywheel come apart on his honda G200 open on the stand free reving it he lost part of 2 of his fingers. he kept the flywheel the rest of his life and showed it to me a couple times, i hauled it to the junk yard with a bunch of other stuff at his wifes request after he passed away.

Running a factory cast iron 3hp fly on 5hp has been the norm for yrs, takes alotta stress off engine, history of flywheel must be known, best if taken off 3hp from stock mower, splitter etc... where it wasnt abused with a hammer. Also the ones made 20 + yrs ago were made better like everything else, yeah we had them break apart but those were revved up over 8000 for long periods. I ve been running mine 10 yrs no probs

flywheel

PS anybody with any background on small engine repair wont max out an engine on a stand with no resistance for too long, chain, clutch attached etc..thats a sure fire way to blow any engine, they need resistance to run properly.

Ran the 3hp for years and never had one come apart.I also can say AND A BIG NO NO
I even ran the 3 hp alum one.I never had one fail but one day I saw one come apart
and the next week I bought a billet.as for testing engines you can make a run in stand
what I did was fill two tires with foam for weight used old 12x8-6 and mounted all
this to a stand short axle and flat plate motor mount.then used a old set of brakes
works well.better then mounting it off and on the kart for tuning after rebuild.
thinking of adding 2 more tires for more resistance just have not gotten around
to it yet.

Back