3rd rear tire??

The Cheyenne 2 was a revolutionary chassis and yes the fifth wheel was a game changer. Banned by WKA from all asphalt oval racing. It maximized side bite and grip in the corners. Was completely adjustable on the track. The fifth wheel was more of a hindrance on dirt as it was just one more tire to hit ruts and would upset the chassis in the corners, but is removable for dirt. Mikes outside of the box thinking didn’t stop at the fifth wheel. The chassis has an flexible hoop on the left side allowing the left side to grow under load for forward bite and relax back to roll the corner. Functioning much like a lift bar/pull bar in a dirt late model. Along with a swinging mid third bearing to keep the rear right where it should be and mitigate axel flex.

Last edited:
Last pic is my NOS chassis waiting for love.
02E7153C-30E8-4AF2-A464-17B9A1F86E04.jpeg
79639C17-69BA-44C1-A540-8F5FD4E4C651.jpeg
9F4997A7-3B44-4CC8-857F-DA2C6CD0543B.jpeg

@XXX#40 did you see this?
Yeah I was here when Mike released it, it didn't do anything on dirt but fall on its face.
Jason Back had both versions, second version just had the 3rd bearing.
We joked the loop helped older drivers get out of the kart lol

Last edited:
The Cheyenne 2 was a revolutionary chassis and yes the fifth wheel was a game changer. Banned by WKA from all asphalt oval racing. It maximized side bite and grip in the corners. Was completely adjustable on the track. The fifth wheel was more of a hindrance on dirt as it was just one more tire to hit ruts and would upset the chassis in the corners, but is removable for dirt. Mikes outside of the box thinking didn’t stop at the fifth wheel. The chassis has an flexible hoop on the left side allowing the left side to grow under load for forward bite and relax back to roll the corner. Functioning much like a lift bar/pull bar in a dirt late model. Along with a swinging mid third bearing to keep the rear right where it should be and mitigate axel flex.
Ernie, you are spot on Sir! Great Pic!

Mike was able to prove its effectiveness when running the chassis with engine packages in excess of 50 hp. Mikes hottest setup with that chassis on dirt was a twin wankle setup. It does in fact grow significantly under hard acceleration. Problem is at that time so many people had 50hp flatheads.... lol
Even a well massaged blockzilla mike recommended running the hoop with bolts in it. Now that most of us are strapping on 50-100hp the dynamic mechanics are relevant to the application.

I wonder what grounds they banned him on, just because we didn't think of it?
You pretty much nailed it. Many years later Wayne Felcy built a kart where the right frame rail crossed to the left side and went to the left front spindle mount, and the left rail crossed to become the rf spindle mount. They didnt touch each other and were in effect torsion bars for the front end. Brilliant idea until the UAS quickly deemed it illegal.

I had a picture saved on my computer saved of Mikes kart with 3 wheels on the rear axle and now cant find them at all. Dang.

And another shot. I ran on the same track with it here at Patriot. I wouldn't exactly say I ran "with" it. The bodywork was also top-notch carbon fiber layup. Everything about that kart was top-shelf and well engineered.

Attachments

• IMG950067.jpg
    IMG950067.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 74
To my knowledge it wasn't deemed illegal under UAS rules. There was some discussion about the width of the chassis though. I know one of Felcy's karts was bought by Boyd Maloney who used to work/run Patriot Speedway and Wayne Felcy is still helping or building, for example he did build some chassis for Kent and Terry Hollifield. Not only this chassis shouldn't be banned but UAS usually encourage people who innovate and there is no question Wayne is one of them.

For those that are curious, Wayne Felch is a top notch composites guy, and works with/for Stohr cars. That is a formula car under wraps there, and I'm not sure if it was just a dust cover, or shielding against prying eyes... It looks to be somewhere around Formula Enterprise size, or perhaps an older Atlantic car. Maybe Wayne could chime in. Stohr cars are also very cool things....All-Stars on a BIG track...
800px-Stohr_WF1_2005.jpg

Back