4/10 mile oval asphalt gear selection

Hey guys I'm running dominion speedway this weekend trying to figure out what gear and driver to use. I run at champ clone and used to running 1/4 mile dirt track. This is a big track and I'm not sure what gears I should begin with trying out. Thanks any idea would be helpful thanks.

Yes it's an oval track not sure of all the specs but first time for st champs there it's a nascar home track normally has late models running there

We had a few races at San Jose Speedway in California back in the 70s. Supposedly a 3/8 mile asphalt high banked track. Our first race was a Saturday night exhibition between the heats and the main. We were all running Yamaha KT100's. Normally, in the KT100 Sprint class, I would use a 9 or 10 tooth driver, but at the Speedway I read a 13 tooth driver. It was kind of slow on the starts but once I got up to speed (and that's where you stayed for the whole race) I ended up winning by a huge margin. You don't want to go over your peak HP RPM. MPH is the key, keep a close eye on your RPM. If you can take one tooth off the axle, and still maintain the same (or close) RPM, that's always better. If you maintain the same RPM, take off one more tooth. Etc. etc. A chain oiler might be handy!

I'm on a 16 , 62 rear gear or 64 on 1/4 mile dirt I'm thinking I'm gonna need like a 12 driver maybe but idk on this hearing stuff
Am I missing something ? Your currently running a champ with an unrestricted Clone, on a 1/4 mile ( 1320 lf )dirt oval track using a 16/62 to 64 and your hitting your target RPM near 6800 rpm ?
You gonna be going to a 4th mile ( 2112 lf ) 800 LF bigger asphalt oval track, same kart same engine ?

We had a few races at San Jose Speedway in California back in the 70s. Supposedly a 3/8 mile asphalt high banked track. Our first race was a Saturday night exhibition between the heats and the main. We were all running Yamaha KT100's. Normally, in the KT100 Sprint class, I would use a 9 or 10 tooth driver, but at the Speedway I read a 13 tooth driver. It was kind of slow on the starts but once I got up to speed (and that's where you stayed for the whole race) I ended up winning by a huge margin. You don't want to go over your peak HP RPM. MPH is the key, keep a close eye on your RPM. If you can take one tooth off the axle, and still maintain the same (or close) RPM, that's always better. If you maintain the same RPM, take off one more tooth. Etc. etc. A chain oiler might be handy!
Clairification YOUR SUGGESTING a 13 tooth driver ?

Something else I did; run your tire pressures up as high as you can get them and still maintain bite. It's not a dirt, tight turn track. You're not going need a lot of stagger, maybe none. Don't be afraid of 12 psi, maybe a lot more. I was shooting for as little a rolling resistance as possible. I was on my Sprint kart, set up for Sprint racing, no stagger, no offset, and I never lifted around the whole track. We raced at that track 5 times, I won the KT100 class 5 times. After the start, I was first to the start finish line on the first lap every time. You can imagine, I have fond memories of that track. LOL

Same motor same kart yes... and was thinking a 13 tooth driver but I'm not sure
I'm not sure what it will be either , BUT I am sure it won't be a 13 or smaller than your 16 track is 800 ft bigger, I'd question your being on a 16 driver now for 1/4 mile dirt especially with a 64 rear, but that's a whole different post, I've never raced asphalt but can't imagine it's to far off from dirt hopefully someone with asphalt experience will chime in, but if that were dirt 800 lf bigger you would be on an 18 driver for sure, most likely a 19/62 ball park to start. It wouldn't surprise me if you found out it ends up a 20 driver.
You must have read that wrong. I didn't suggest any gear for him, I told him what gear I ran on my Yamaha at a similar track!
No that's why I ask for clarification.

Yea I actually just went back and looked and I was going the wrong way lol. Thinking 19 or 20 and 64 rear gear. But thank you guys for the help now to see what tires I'm gonna run. It's open tire just have to be 10" wheels on right side. I'm gonna try maxxis ht3 in practice but probably run vegas or see about maxxis el. What's your opinion on this

How about
13/43
14/46
15/49
16/53
17/57
Smaller,, Shorter, chain. Might be something to try?
It worked for me at Atwater California 10/53 whereas all the really fast smart guys, were running 11s and 12's. In the 3rd heat I had a half lap lead on Scott Pruitt, he's a fast guy. I mentioned this race a lot, forgive me.

We run a 19-61 or 20-63 or 64 on a 3/8 mile with a 206 champ. Factor in 6050 rpm to 6800 a 19 is what i would start on. Drafting is about a half second gain and 500 rpm give or take. Be prepared to follow and push, save the passing till late if you want to win.

Back