4/10 mile oval asphalt gear selection

How about
13/43
14/46
15/49
16/53
17/57
Smaller,, Shorter, chain. Might be something to try?
It worked for me at Atwater California 10/53 whereas all the really fast smart guys, were running 11s and 12's. In the 3rd heat I had a half lap lead on Scott Pruitt, he's a fast guy. I mentioned this race a lot, forgive me.
Simple Al.

You were geared correctly to take advantage of less torque transfer on the slowest corners allowing the engine to recover better, with the same top axle rpm down the long straights.
The difference with oval racing is there really is no slow corner to gear for that will give you an advantage.
So you must gear to allow the best momentum at the track, at the time.
Stock type 4 cycle industrial engines do not have the over rev potential of the 2 cycle engines you are use to. Oval racing adds the momentum factor. Gearing to take advantage of potential power requires thinking on the opposite end of the spectrum.
What worked in a 2 cycle sprint race which included a tight hairpin or chicane onto a long straight is going to be completely different than what is required on an oval with an rpm limited 4 stroke engine.

Never saw the Atwater course, but bet my description is close.

Situational gearing is what we should be thinking about.

Ratio is a ratio thinking may be wrong for more than just oval racing.
Jmho

Last edited:
4 Tenths Mile Paved Oval ? Banked ? Stock Class Clone ?
If you can still get em,, Firestones !

HT3's. .060 thick. No Prep. 14 PSI to Start on Rights, more if the track is clean.
21:68 gear to start, remove teeth drafting.
Gear for max HP at lowest RPM point on track. 100 RPM drop.
34" RR 3.24 gear 6000 RPM = 59.62 MPH (for reference)
Aerodynamics will be REAL important.
Reduce load on LR. Moving RR in or out a slight amount will be big.
Good place to test exhaust pipes/mufflers. Best pipe more jet.

This is what I'd show up with,, tune from here. Good Luck.
Best, WP

Thank you to everyone who responded you all definitely gave me some good advice and starting points so I wont be so far off to start. I will post updates. If I remember after practice I will post how its going

4 Tenths Mile Paved Oval ? Banked ? Stock Class Clone ?
If you can still get em,, Firestones !

HT3's. .060 thick. No Prep. 14 PSI to Start on Rights, more if the track is clean.
21:68 gear to start, remove teeth drafting.
Gear for max HP at lowest RPM point on track. 100 RPM drop.
34" RR 3.24 gear 6000 RPM = 59.62 MPH (for reference)
Aerodynamics will be REAL important.
Reduce load on LR. Moving RR in or out a slight amount will be big.
Good place to test exhaust pipes/mufflers. Best pipe more jet.

This is what I'd show up with,, tune from here. Good Luck.
Best, WP
Thank you I will definitely be doing some but with the other replays and yours I should have a good idea of where to start and what direction to go in if I need to

I'm not sure what it will be either , BUT I am sure it won't be a 13 or smaller than your 16 track is 800 ft bigger, I'd question your being on a 16 driver now for 1/4 mile dirt especially with a 64 rear, but that's a whole different post, I've never raced asphalt but can't imagine it's to far off from dirt hopefully someone with asphalt experience will chime in, but if that were dirt 800 lf bigger you would be on an 18 driver for sure, most likely a 19/62 ball park to start. It wouldn't surprise me if you found out it ends up a 20 driver.

No that's why I ask for clarification.
Thank you for all the helpful info and suggestions

Hey guys so we raced Saturday ended up using a 19/62 only stayed with 62 because we had clutch issue 1st practice (missed), 2nd practice pull start broke(missed) so I left 62 on to help top end..... well started last heat race 2 finished 8th out of 12.... ran maxxis ht3 duro at 60 btw... race time!!!!! Started 16th on outside of course got caught up behind slower karts and fell to 19th got hooked to rear bumper of a guy the rest of the race finished 12th!!! Actually was very fast and pushed that guy passed 7 karts but not enough time to catch lead pack but we were catching them fast. Thank you all for the help I had a blast. This is one fast track yall have to check it out... Dominion raceway In thornburg va, next race a few weeks away...

Hey guys so we raced Saturday ended up using a 19/62 only stayed with 62 because we had clutch issue 1st practice (missed), 2nd practice pull start broke(missed) so I left 62 on to help top end..... well started last heat race 2 finished 8th out of 12.... ran maxxis ht3 duro at 60 btw... race time!!!!! Started 16th on outside of course got caught up behind slower karts and fell to 19th got hooked to rear bumper of a guy the rest of the race finished 12th!!! Actually was very fast and pushed that guy passed 7 karts but not enough time to catch lead pack but we were catching them fast. Thank you all for the help I had a blast. This is one fast track yall have to check it out... Dominion raceway In thornburg va, next race a few weeks away...
Glad to see you had a good experience

Back