4 cycle slit sprockets that slide over axle

• Thread starter Deleted member 21174
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21174

Rocket Sprockets is making these now - it's a one piece sprocket but with a single slit and it can slide over the axle. I've heard of other folks making these themselves. Has anyone tried these? And real difference over traditional split sprockets?

You would need to take the axle apart for a gear change ?
That seems like alot of trouble for a gear change .

You would need to take the axle apart for a gear change ?
That seems like alot of trouble for a gear change .
No - the sprocket has a slit in it and you bend it (gently) and slide it over the axle for gear changes.

As for ease of finding them if your dissorganized id say great. No more zip tieing gear halves together either. No more gear missalignment if one half is slightly bent. But i dont know about bending aluminum sprockets to take them off and put them on. They would have to fatigue somewhere and eventually break. Cool concept though.

No - the sprocket has a slit in it and you bend it (gently) and slide it over the axle for gear changes.
Roger : now that makes sense !
Neat idea , not all neat ideas work or work well .
Twist it it may take a set . Won't have to worry which side mates up .

Guy's, I hate to bust your bubble, but we used those type sprockets back in the 70's on the old Mac powered karts and you didn't have to be gentle with them. They were tough. I don't recall anyone bending one too far.

Guy's, I hate to bust your bubble, but we used those type sprockets back in the 70's on the old Mac powered karts and you didn't have to be gentle with them. They were tough. I don't recall anyone bending one too far.
I know they've been around, and I know one dad who makes his own. It's just neat to see them produced and available for less skilled guys like myself.

I have a few 219 gears like that from my Yamaha days, I didn’t run a jackshaft so I had my sprocket outside of the bearing with the gear about against the RR tire so we would run a one piece gear. IMO probably be better to reverse your sprocket hub so you can pop the RR clamshell and slide the thing on without twisting it?

We do it with all our 219 years on our Sprint kart.i thought it was common practice. Useca hacksaw to cut one spot and twist it over the axle.

I was going to say, for the motivated, buy a 1 pc. gear and use a dremel with thin cutoff, or a hacksaw and make your own version... A laser cut version with interlocking puzzle piece notch would be kinda' neat... The reality is that most of these used to be held on with 6 bolts, more than enough to pull it flat. Now that there's 4 bolt and 3 bolt hubs, YMMV. (Your mileage may vary.)

Back