400ex

I am looking for some assistance on what it would take to get a 400ex on a kart.
1) can I run off the transmission (assuming trans are legal) or is removing it necessary?
2) if trans is better removed, can I run a clutch off of the crank or do I need a jack shaft?
3) what kind of engine mounts are used for these style of engines?

Considering doing this for a local track to get away from the clone and get back to driving the kart a little with the throttle.

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

I'm very heavy myself. How much heavier are you talking? I'm just looking to put something together for a local track to get started in an open. As for handling that sounds like a fun challenge, I'm not afraid to get unconventional if necessary. I would be on a 1/4 mile pretty flat track

Anyone care to share pictures of how they mounted their engines? Going to make my own engine mount just want to get some ideas so I make sure I do it right the first time.

View attachment 4552

This is the basic idea most everyone uses for the bike/quad engines. Every engine varies a little. To start out with, keep the gearbox and set up a good hand clutch and shifter. The engine may be a little heavy, but mostly it's low on power for UAS stuff. Looks like there's some aftermarket parts that could perk it up a bit, maybe some hot fuel also. Good luck.

I cannot see the attachment. I'm not looking to run uas races just yet. May hit a couple but mostly just a local track this season. Building a shock business still so my racing is on a small schedule. Yeah I have a guy locally that built drag 4 wheelers and the 400ex was his main engine. He can get hp out of them for sure. Do you use a normal 4 wheeler chain and sprockets with this type if set up?

a motor built for a drag bike is not something that would last long on a kart.if u are on a budget just get a mount an go from there. dont be surprised when a good handling kart with a 400 dollar clone lights u up. power is one thing but if it doesnt handle an have a good tire program your just going from one corner till the next corner while hes pulling away from u in the corners jmo

https://www.facebook.com/pg/judgesperformce/photos/?ref=page_internal

Judges Performance makes some great engine mounts for reasonable prices. If you're racing on a 1/4 mile track the weight won't be as big of a deal, but tires are certainly important. If you don't want to mess with prep for now i'd go with Vega's, or Burris' but that's just my opinion. Talking to locals about the track surface and tires would be your best bet. As far as sprockets look up CMS sprockets here https://mkt.com/cms-quality-products/, they make the stuff you'll need.

I ran the track this past year with my regular clone. Handling is my strong point wright is my weak link. Thanks for the advice from all of you guys. I feel pretty good about my tire program. I have gotten a good grio on what I need and when I need it over the last few years. I will check out that link for sure. Thanks again. Looking forward to building this. The guy also built racing quads with the 400 so should be ok.

Back