5/8 Mile Asphalt Oval Gearing for Sr. Champ?

SrChamp29

Looking for suggestions on gearing (ratio & front driver size) for the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway 5/8 mile asphalt oval with 16 degree banking in the turns. We're running Sr. Champ at 400 lbs. with a box stock project clone. The largest driver I found was a 23-tooth - just not sure if the BSP clone could get the RPM's up enough. Please help to advise - thanks in advance.

Looking for suggestions on gearing (ratio & front driver size) for the Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway 5/8 mile asphalt oval with 16 degree banking in the turns. We're running Sr. Champ at 400 lbs. with a box stock project clone. The largest driver I found was a 23-tooth - just not sure if the BSP clone could get the RPM's up enough. Please help to advise - thanks in advance.
I can't really tell you what gear to run, but if you started out with the 23/60, make some laps, observe the peak RPM, if you add one tooth to the axle, and you pick up 85 RPM, you will be going the same speed. If you add 2 teeth to the axle you will need to pick up 170 RPM. As long as you pick up an additional 85 RPM, for each tooth you add, your top speed will stay the same and you should get out of the corners a little faster.

I would double the pressure in the tires, put smaller tires on the front, run no stagger in the rear and get down as low as you can in the kart. The whole secret to winning on a track that big is top speed. I would want my peak RPM to be very close to peak horsepower RPM. Getting the fuel mixture right is real important.

Back