5 Bolt valve cover

Strent64

I am a new member to this forum. I recently picked up a flat kart from a friend. It has what i think is a predator motor on it. It has a 5 bolt valve cover on it but it seems to be a built motor it has a ARC flywheel with a racing header. I cant find any numbers anywhere on the engine to search what it is. My question is what do i have?? I was told that the 5 bolt valve cover motors were outlawed. Any help would be awesome.
Scott

Thats true . Well at least rule changes made it illegal .
Could switch heads with a 196 clone . Its not likely a predator .
Clone type .
Nice 151 for sale in for sale section .

No i think pep boys sold them . Champion maybe .
Rule makers , money maybe the rocker assembly .
They just trying to keep the herd going in the same direction .
With satandard parts .
Relatvly old 5 or more years ?

We are in Johnson City Tn. We are hoping to race at kingsport miniway asphalt track when all this corona stuff blows through.

5 bolt engines are not allowed at our track. They were the original harbor freight... greyhound engines. I have 3 of them here. Those heads flowed pretty good... that’s probably why they killed it.

I’m not sure what rule package that Kingsport miniway will use, at Ashway we are AKRA or NKA, which neither of those allow that head, you could give Derek Lane a call and he can point you in the right direction, I’m pretty sure they are trying to utilize as same as Ashway as possible since a lot of racers plan on running both, I can PM you Dereks number if you need it

Whar class are you wanting to run, and what do the rules say? That head was on some of the original clones and back in those days a lot preferred that head. That version of motor was discontinued and became illegal mostly because not everyone could get them. If you are wanting to run a clone class you couldn't run a Predator anyhow because its a 212, not 196cc motor.
I've accumulated a few of these heads and use one from time to time as a spare when I'm working on a newer style head on a stock appearing Predator motor. The heads are all interchangeable but the Predator hemi head requires the use of the hemi pushrods.
Yank the head off and measure the bore while it's off. Predators are 70mm bore, clones are 68mm.

No i think pep boys sold them . Champion maybe .
Rule makers , money maybe the rocker assembly .
They just trying to keep the herd going in the same direction .
With satandard parts .
Relatvly old 5 or more years ?

didn't the first blue tin 196 cc clones from Harbor freight, have 5 bolt valve covers

5 bolt engines are not allowed at our track. They were the original harbor freight... greyhound engines. I have 3 of them here. Those heads flowed pretty good... that’s probably why they killed it.
Them Blue HF are good motors, we still have two. One has over 2500 laps on the block. When rules changed a few years back we replaced the 5 bolt heads with some E. Vause heads, and Carbs, that really did pick up the power.

Back